Unleashed Settings pre-configuration options

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
Unfoolishly

September 10th, 2021, 5:32 pm

Hi All,

Now we have the Unleashed Settings available, is it also possible to make some preset buttons under which we can store certain values?
I mean like radio channels you often listen to on your car radio, you can program 5 radio channels under preset buttons and press those to go to the specific radio channel.
Likewise with the Unleashed settings. Would be nice to have if we can program/store the values for a certain situation, like "safari cruise", "nighttime shooting", "time lapse", "on the move", "day at the zoo", etc.

5 preset buttons be enough, I guess?

So we can adjust the Unleashed settings in the App and store them within the App. Then when we go out with the camera, we can select a preset configuration of the Unleashed settings and we are all done. Like quickly switching between pre-configured radio channels. The moment you press a preset button, the Unleashed is set to those specific settings automatically, same as with the UI elements of the App. Just ONE press and you all set and done!

Greetings,
Unfoolishy
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Unfoolishly

September 10th, 2021, 6:05 pm

This comes just to mind:

When the Unleashed gets unpaired/unbonded, because the user wants to use a different smartphone with this Unleashed, the App of the other smartphone should read back the current Unleashed settings from that specific Unleashed!

It will be a real world use case: switching smartphones with Unleashed/camera. The App can check the values read back from the Unleashed with the preset settings of the other smartphone App and check if they match with a preset-config or not. Thus selecting that specific preset or not.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Oliver

September 10th, 2021, 11:58 pm

I don't see presets for these Unleashed settings coming any time soon.
Be happy you're finally getting the possibility to change these advanced settings at all! 😂

The Unleashed settings are already saved in the Unleashed, not the app.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Unfoolishly

September 11th, 2021, 12:08 am

Here is an example of using preset buttons to store and switch quickly between presets:

Screenshot_preselectors.png
Have a look at a real life example within a BMW car for preset buttons:

BMW Touch Sensitive Radio Preset Buttons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-zCUCuthNU

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Unfoolishly

September 11th, 2021, 1:22 pm

Oliver wrote:
September 10th, 2021, 11:58 pm
I don't see presets for these Unleashed settings coming any time soon.
Be happy you're finally getting the possibility to change these advanced settings at all! 😂
You made me VERY happy with these advanced settings being controlled by the user through the App. Thank you for that! Hurrah!
The Unleashed settings are already saved in the Unleashed, not the app.
But you are overlooking some real life use cases, which I already had in mind. Never underestimate the cleverness and creativity of your Unleashed users! People can mess up things pretty fast and probably even without realizing it themselves!

Consider this use case:

Say I have a friend or family member that wants to borrow my camera for a day to take some photos. That person has its own smartphone, but the Unleashed sits on my camera.
I have used my smartphone to set the Unleashed settings to MY preferences, so the Unleashed is programmed to behave like I want the Unleashed to behave.
Now the other user connects his/her smartphone to MY Unleashed and the Unleashed App retrieved the Unleashed settings from MY Unleashed.
During the day of photo shooting the other user of the camera/Unleashed discovers that some of the settings are not working for him/her, so he/she adjusts these Unleashed settings within THEIR Unleashed App. We know that the App does not yet store these settings in the App itself, but only in the Unleashed itself. That is logically correct. But, it provides a problem. And here it is:

Now the other user returns MY camera/Unleashed back to me, but I am NOT aware that he/she adjusted the Unleashed settings while using MY camera. There are now TWO problems:
1. I am NOT aware of the Unleashed settings changes made to MY Unleashed, and I will probably also NOT be informed about it by that user (too busy, forgotten, not aware of, sees no harm in it, etc). Thus when I continue the day after with that specific Unleashed/camera, I am NOT aware that the Unleashed now behaves different then before I lent him/her the camera.
2. I cannot recall MY Unleashed settings anymore because I forgot how I did set the Unleashed settings in the first place. I have no memory recall and have no backup (on the smartphone as preset), so I have to figure out how I did set those settings in the first place AGAIN.

So, the problem is not that we now have the Unleashed settings available, because that is a MAJOR step forward with the Unleashed and App, but that we have no clue as foremost user of the Unleashed what has altered the last time WE ourselves used it, before we lent out the Unleashed/camera to somebody else (that of course played with the settings and never informed us about it; that happens all the time when you lent out stuff to other people!).

So two main reasons for implementing Unleashed settings presets in the App are:
1. Memory recall: what settings were used last time? For what scenario: landscape shooting, on-the-go shooting, portrait shooting, nighttime shooting, etc. Who is using the Unleashed with his/her smartphone, because they can have different presets/preferences.
2. Change detection: who did use MY Unleashed and in some way altered MY Unleashed settings (mostly without informing me about it!). I would like to be warned about this BEFORE I start using my camera in combination with MY smartphone!

It is like lending your car to someone else who is shorter/taller than you, so when you get your car back its drivers-seat is probably a different position and height. That is no problem for you, because you are directly informed by your body about these changes, so you adjust these quickly to your settings/presets.

With the Unleashed it is different: you do not get ANY feedback from the Unleashed App after another smartphone was used and your own smartphone is reconnected again to be used by you. Then you are NOT aware that the Unleashed settings did change and then you also are NOT remembering anymore what YOUR specific Unleashed settings were.

And when you in the near future extend your accessory portfolio that can be used by the Unleashed, and thus expand the Unleashed settings quite a bit with more options/settings, you sure want to keep a BACKUP of these Unleashed settings ALSO in the App, because of the above mentioned reasons:
1. Detection of changes between the settings in the Unleashed App and the Unleashed itself (did somebody else use this Unleashed)?
2. Memory presets, so that the user doesn't have to recall from memory what settings he/she used the last time for his/her own personal situations (nighttime, on-the-go, portrait shootings) or for the partner/friend/family member/colleague personal situations (landscape, time lapse, etc).

If you now think: "d*amnit, he is right again", then the penny dropped, and I am happy it did! If not, too bad... please reconsider it again!

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Oliver

September 11th, 2021, 2:47 pm

I'm not saying there is no use-case, but it's not one we can pay attention to compared to all the other features we have planned, let alone all the feature requests we're getting.

Staying with your example: does your car have user-assignable presets for you with various chip tuning options, ignition timings and suspension reaction or brake-force curves?
So that when you lend your car to a friend, and he feels like using different fuel injection profile, that you can easily switch back to one of your 5 customised profiles that you saved as presets?
I didn't think so. 😂

I think we need to set a limit to feature wishes per user, just so that you really think about which features you wish for! Of course there's always more to wish for, but if you ask for 300 different things, and pretend like they're all the most important, you're doing the opposite of making us take any of them seriously.
We love getting input from customers, but as I have suggested before, write all your ideas down privately, think about each one of them, put them in an order of priority, and then wish for the top 3 here on the Forum. Right now you're drowning your own good ideas with lots too many unnecessary ones.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Unfoolishly

September 11th, 2021, 3:29 pm

I can't help it that I have so many ideas (most of them very helpful for other users as well). I just think that it is a good idea to share them with you, even if they are not implemented in the near future. Better write them down and share, then forget about them and never share them at all.

But okay, I will slow down on a lot of feature ideas. Then you finally get to rest after all that hard work! :-)

I must say, now with the 2.0.0 version, the App and Unleashed are finally maturing to a solid and future proof product for camera operations. There is one unique selling point that all those other products in the market do not have, namely: interchangeability! The user is with the Unleashed and Unleashed App much less dependent of the camera manufacturer itself. Just plug in the Unleashed and use the Unleashed App to control all kinds of camera types, at once!

I know that this was (and still is) a long road of development to accomplish.

A deep bow from me, because you guys (and girls) managed to actually create something that works well (even thou it costed a lot of iterations of development)!

Congratulations! A big hurrah from my side!

I will now start to enjoy the Unleashed much, much more... It now works "as advertised" and "out of the box". Not plug and pray, but plug and play! That's the way it should be!

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Unfoolishly

October 5th, 2021, 5:43 pm

Hi All,

Unleasheds presets would be a nice to have in the next BETA. Next to a DEFAULTS preset.
That way the users can switch quickly between two types of camera use:
- In the hand, operating the camera directly.
- On a tripod, operating the camera remotely with the App through the Unleashed.

An auto reminder or auto default timer in the App to set the Unleashed setting back to maximum battery savings would be cool to have as well.
That means: the App will warn the user after a day of shooting to revert back to the defaults of the Unleashed settings, for maximum results. Before storing the camera back into the cabinet.

And a bit reshuffling of the UI items in the settings screen, so that all subjects are grouped together in a better way. Making it more clearer.
That would be really nice!

Greetings,
Unfoolishly