Preventing battery depletion by not allowing automatically initiating BT discovery process

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
Unfoolishly

September 16th, 2021, 12:10 am

Hi All,

Two ways to prevent more battery depletion, both on the smartphone and Unleashed side is to not allow automatic BT discovery process from the App/smartphone and from the App/Unleashed.

See attached snapshots.
Screenshot_20210915-222326.png
Screenshot_20210915-222405.png
By skipping this, or not automatically start BT discovery, battery life is spared. Why would you want to go to the accessory screen in the App and active BT discovery from the smartphone for devices to be linked to the smartphone, when that is not your goal at all as a user? Same as with the accessory screen: does the user really want to start doing BT discovery from the Unleashed, or just wants to turn on/off (pair/unpair) the accessory from the Unleashed?

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Oliver

September 16th, 2021, 12:46 pm

We made a conscious decision not do do this.
There is no reason to be in this screen for any significant amount of time, for anything other than pairing.
Yes, you also go there to turn off paired Unleasheds/Accessories, but not for a significant amount of time, so the battery life you could gain is virtually 0. But the User Experience gain is much higher.
We're already managing battery usage of these processes very carefully, and don't see a need for further trying to optimise something that's only active for 5-10 seconds.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Unfoolishly

September 16th, 2021, 4:16 pm

Maybe you're right on this one. But I still don't get it why the BT discovery starts automatically each time. And "everybody else is doing it" ain't a good reason to me. It's the same as saying: Officer, everybody else on the highway was speeding too, why did you pull me off the road, shouldn't you be giving everybody a speeding ticket?
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Oliver

September 16th, 2021, 6:02 pm

No, I was saying that it's the better user experience, and that's also why everyone else is doing that. (ie everyone else doing that is a confirmation that we are doing the right thing, not the reason for it - the reason is that it's better)
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.