HDMI Signal Pass Through

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
UrsusLaternix

December 11th, 2021, 9:10 pm

The Introduction: after backing, I unfortunately discovered a little problem for one of my main use cases. I reported this observation back to the inventors and received an immediate response, saying that this issue could be solved if enough interest for that solution can be generated in the community. This is my attempt to foster such interest.

The problem: as far as I understand, the Unleashed uses the USB socket to control the camera via Bluetooth connection with a control device (Android or iOS mobile). The Unleashed pulls power from the respective contacts of the camera's HDMI port. By doing so, it blocks the HDMI port and thus renders the HDMI signals unusable as well. I think this is a problem for all audio-/videographers who are used to connect external monitors to their camera rig's HDMI port. In my specific case it is not even the video signal for external monitoring that I am interested in but simply the connection between camera and audio recorder through HDMI for synchronised recording start/stop (see attached photos of my rig; TC HDMI on the TASCAM audio recorder signifies time code sync via HDMI input).
IMG_1590xsmall.jpg
IMG_1590xsmall.jpg (82.21 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
IMG_1593xsmall.jpg
IMG_1593xsmall.jpg (82.42 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
The solution: Pass the HDMI signal through the Unleashed by means of either adding and HDMI socket or - if the socket is too bulky for the tiny housing - providing a little cable outlet with the HDMI socket attached to its flying end.
I really think that would open the full and unlimited potential of this already super versatile device. I am very interested in the community's thoughts on this.
Oliver

December 12th, 2021, 6:14 pm

We're considering making an HDMI - passthrough adapter.

However, in your case you could actually simply pass HDMI into your Audio-recorder, then connect the Unleashed cable to your HDMI out on your recorder.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
UrsusLaternix

December 13th, 2021, 6:58 pm

You are right, I have not thought about this workaround. It would require 2 additional adapter cables, one that connects the camera USB with the Unleashed USB and another one that connects recorder‘s HDMI out with the Unleashed HDMI. Is a bit messy but will certainly be considered once the delivery date draws close in about a year‘s time and in case the HDMI passthrough does not become available.