Can the Unleashed App notify the user there is a new firmware when not running?

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
PapaBear

June 20th, 2023, 11:50 pm

Dear Foolography,

Can the Unleashed App notify the user there is a new firmware when not running?
Like in those push messages in a browser.

PapaBear out.
Natasha

June 21st, 2023, 3:39 pm

That's currently not possible but we can add it to our wishlist. Just curious, is the red (1) badge in the app insufficient or do you just wish to be notified so you know there's an update before you head out to shoot?
Marketing/Communications/Operations at Foolography
PapaBear

June 22nd, 2023, 11:01 am

Dear Foolography,

"or do you just wish to be notified so you know there's an update before you head out to shoot?"

Exactly this!

In the past, I have had trouble using the mobile network of my telecom provider for updating the firmware in the field (city, nature, in foreign countries, etc).
That didn't go well each time.

I would like to get notified beforehand if a new version is out. I believe that currently the check on new firmware is not done by the App itself, but is only visible in the App when you update the App itself, containing the newer firmware. What I would like to know/see is that the App informs me of a new App (and thus new firmware) update, so I can update the App first in the hotel, at home or in a restaurant where highspeed internet/wifi is working. Then I can update the firmware.
The App is simply not updated automatically using the Google playstore, so I have to remind myself each time to check if a newer App version is available. I wish it would be quite the opposite,
the App telling me two things:
1. There is a newer App version available from within the App store (version numbers don't match)
2. There is a newer firmware version available from from within the App (version numbers don't match).

I believe I read in another post on the forum that the firmware updates would be in the near future separated from the App updates, making it more efficient to update the firmware(s) and thus not having to wait for App approval cycle of Google/Apple, which can take weeks. That would mean, I could lie behind on firmware updates that could solve issues encountered with the current firmware. Am I right on this?

If I see this correctly, the only way I can know there is a new firmware update (and a new App update as well), is to first check for new App update in the Google playstore and download the newer App version, and then secondly check with the Unleashed to see if there is a newer firmware version also. It could be that only a newer App version is out, or that there is only a newer firmware version out. I just need to know if I am "good to go" and can safely travel to areas where there is no internet (for whatever reason that might be) and don't get surprised on the road to find out the firmware does cause problems and I am not able to update it.

I hope you understand what I am aiming for? That the App tells me two things:
1. I need to update the App
2. I need to update the firmware

If I forget checking manually to update the App, because there wasn't an App update for a long time and I forgot about checking it, then I also do not get informed of whether there is a new firmware version available.
It could be that there is indeed a newer App version out, with a newer firmware also, but I just forgot to check at home, or in the hotel (where they have internet/wifi).

I would prefer letting the App tell me I am not on the latest App/firmware version instead of the Google playstore. Sort of internal check in the App.
That way I sure get informed correctly.

See what I mean?

PapaBear out
(sorry for the long text)
Oliver

August 25th, 2023, 10:50 pm

Hi, and very sorry for the late reply! I didn't get a notification for your last post, and because it has been quiet on the forum, didn't notice until now.

So: we've had the capability for quite some time now that firmware updates can become available immediately when we release them, and do not require an app update first. You'll always get the new updates when you're online and start the app.

Apps can update automatically - that's a system setting on your device - the app can't update itself.

We're considering adding a few useful notifications - I'll add this to our list.

That said - The firmware updates for the Unleashed are not even 1MB in size, so you don't really have to worry about mobile data problems. On top of that, the app will download the firmware update from our servers as soon as it becomes available, but you can then do the firmware update itself while you're offline.

I hope that helps!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
PapaBear

August 27th, 2023, 12:44 am

Dear Foolography,

Great to hear! It would be wonderful if the App could also have a "memory resident" function to slumber around to give a notification once an firmware version is available. Only the notification, not the downloading of it already (depending if someone is on mobile data or on wifi data). It would be great to have.

I'm not sure if Android or iOS supports this, but to have the App slumber around doing almost nothing in the background only periodically checking for firmware updates, like once a week, would be great to have. Only 52 weeks in one year ;-)
The App should go into deep sleep if not used for a while. And users should be able to shut it off completely if they don't want the App to notify them automatically for a new firmware update. App updates are notified anyways by the play store system.

I downloaded the latest App update. Wow! What an improvement! Great work, keep it going! Major update!!!

PapaBear out
Oliver

August 28th, 2023, 12:19 pm

We'll think of something when we get to implementing notifications.

For the Unleashed '18, the biggest changes in the new App are in the Timelapse and Holy Grail screens, and a few smaller improvements on the other screens.
We're glad you like the app updates!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.