What is Flex interval in timelapse mode ?

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
skippy2008

November 11th, 2023, 7:37 am

Hello the community

I was testing out some options to set up a timelapse and when choosing my interval, I noticed there was an option called "flex interval". I have some idea of what it can do but unfortunately i wasnt able to find any information about it either on foolography website or on internet. And in addition, it seems that someting is not workinf as when I choose it, nothing happens when I click on the shutter button within my app to launch the timelapse

Thank you in advance for your help
gkaefer

November 13th, 2023, 12:05 am

I found info (in german) about the flex value used in timelapse mode posted by Oliver here:
viewtopic.php?p=4964#p4964
skippy2008

November 13th, 2023, 12:13 am

Thank you. I will try some Google translation on that
Oliver

November 13th, 2023, 12:03 pm

FLEX is also described on our Kickstarter campaign:

Flexible intervals
So you don’t miss any shots when exposure times get longer, the Unleashed can optionally start increasing the interval. This is perfect for day-to-night timelapses as it enables you to have a nice short interval during the day, but still allows ramping down to 30s exposures for starry nights.

For example, you can set your Interval to 10 seconds, which is a great starting value for any timelapse during the day. Once the Shutterspeed approaches the value of the interval, we will simply extend the interval flexibly as needed. ie when the shutterspeed changes from 8s to 10s, the interval will automatically change from the set 10s, to something like 11s and even longer as the shutterspeed keeps getting longer. We will trigger the camera as soon as we're done with the holy grail adjustment operations for each shot, typically this is done in a second or less, but depending on your camera, file size, speed of Memory card, etc, it can also take longer.

I will admit, while we have tested this feature in the office under simulated light changes with a few cameras of each, we have not done extensive field testing with all brands, so if you encounter any issues, do let us know, and we can look into them. Holy grail timelapses with FLEX intervals is really the culmination of all the capabilities of the Unleashed, so there is a LOT of details that we had to take care of, and of course this adds to the potential for edge cases to cause an issue.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
skippy2008

November 13th, 2023, 12:34 pm

Thank you very much Oliver. It's either very clear explanation and very good news as it's something I didnt kow the unleashed was already capable of and certainly a huge feature I was hoping for one day in the future. So it's very good news.

I regularly shoot day to night or "day to stars" timelapses so I will definitely test the device boundaries and will be able to give you feedback if needed

I must say I missed that on the kickstarter page. I should go back there to see if I missed anything else

By the way, if I had a suggestion to make, that would be to deliver some kind of "instructions manual" somewhere on your website. I must say even if the app is pretty easy to use without any tutorial, it certainly has more features than what we know of (the flex interval was the best example). Of course I followed all the video tutorials on your website too, but I think, in my opinion, that it would be a great idea to have some webpage or pdf file that goes a bit deeper in each feature and/or each setting that we can find in the app. Because all of them are not crystal clear right from the start. And I'm sure we all would be able to use this wonderful device at its full potential, which I'm not sure we all do (me included)

thanks again very much
Oliver

November 13th, 2023, 12:41 pm

Yea, we know! 🤷‍♂️
We're working on a manual, probably not a PDF, but in the app/on the website.
We're also working on new Tutorials to cover all the new features, but waited with those until the Features were ready and we don't have to redo half of them a few weeks later.

It's a huge undertaking though, and as you have noticed, we're still busy with bug fixing, shipping and emails. We know we could have saved us (and you all) some of that trouble, if we had finished the manual and tutorials before shipping, but that would have caused additional delays, and also there are only so many hours in a day...
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
skippy2008

November 13th, 2023, 1:04 pm

I totally get it and it was just a quick thought just in order to optimize the use of the unleashed and unlock all of its potential.

Keep on with this very good job ! 👏🏻👏🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻