Virtual Focus screen

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
whitney

November 4th, 2018, 6:51 pm

Just got my unleashed yesterday, nice. Small and it surprised me that the USB 3.0 plug is divided so. I have a Nikon D810 and an iPhone.

So one thing was when the app was running, I lost the ability to show LiveView on the camera and I think I understand that being a function of the software sending informaiton to the camera.

Feature. Having LiveView to the phone to allow a virtual focus screen overlay.

I have some manual lenses especially for macro stuff, that this would be very helpful. And the frame rate would only have to be high enough as not impose too much of lag for focusing.

Thanks

Cary
Oliver

November 5th, 2018, 2:59 pm

Yeah, unfortunately Nikon only allows live-view when USB is not active. On the D810 you can actually use most of the Unleashed's functions without the USB cable, so you would still have live-view on the camera. (you wouldn't have image review on the phone though)

But we're also working on a touch-to-focus functionality... but still have a lot of work ahead of us for this.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
whitney

November 9th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Thanks that is nice to know about the USB function.

But the focus feature that I was hoping for would allow me to use a manual focus lens. Unless I don't understand, the touch focus would still require an auto-focus capable lens.

Thanks

Cary
PaulBlais

November 20th, 2018, 11:03 pm

For touch focus you need a higher level of display. I would love to have it - make no mistake. To get there requires some levels of expanded function. I think this issue isn't done yet and Foolography is deserved a shot at it. Wanting it all in a #1 release is unreasonable. Asking for more is to be expected - ask away. I would too. They need to shoot higher.

The fact they actually shipped is amazing! I've been here myself with another company in the video field. I doubt they would quit anytime soon! Asking is fine - complaining is not! They need real direction not indignation. These folks are still filled with energy. Let us focus that effort!
whitney

November 22nd, 2018, 2:57 pm

Hi Paul,

Not complaining or criticizing. I was only trying to clarify my point.

Touch to focus may be nice. What this means to me is that I can touch the screen of the phone and adjust it in some way and then the Unleashed would send a command to the camera to focus the lenses. This is my understanding of this function. If I am wrong please let me know.

Now this is fine if the lenses have auto focus, but what I had asked for something like the old fashion split screen focus screen so I can use my manual ONLY focus lenses. This may not have to have that high of resolution of image on the phone side since the focus screen could have a series of horizontal and/or vertical lines that break the image and come together as I focus the lenses. (The processing power of the cell phone should be enough to handle this, it does so much more.)

So my first follow on response, I was just trying to point out that I have manual focus lenses.

Oh and this same technique I could use when I connect my camera to my microscope or telescope. Here the remote trigger and setting come in very handy since I do not have to touch the camera.

Tech is amazing but sometime I just need tech to enhance my eyes, not replace them (touch focus).

Cary
Oliver

November 23rd, 2018, 3:14 pm

Hi,
Paul - thanks for the defense ;-) but don't worry, we can take criticism, complaints, suggestions, wishes but also don't mind a little praise ;-)
We'll filter all requests to see what's doable, whats worth doing, and also what's not. We already have a long list of todo's for future versions, and will continue adding cool features to the Unleashed, but some things are just not possible.

Cary: This is something that probably won't be possible! The phone might have the processing power, but it needs a high resolution live-feed from the Unleashed, which is something we can't deliver, or we need to do the processing in teh Unleashed, and that doesn't have that kind of processing power.

However, we do have the info on the focus confirmation dot which you can see in the bottom left corner of your viewfinder on Nikon cameras, basically Nikon will tell you wether an image is in focus, even on manual lenses. This information, we can present in the App somehow, and will do in a future update.
whitney

November 23rd, 2018, 8:06 pm

Thanks Oliver,

Yeah that green dot is hard to see some times when the camera is in different configurations. Microscope, I have to stand on a chair to look down on it. :-) So yeah, I would like.

About the high-res live stream. Would it be possible to send only a small section of the image at high-res? The rest of the image could be low-res. I say this because I deal with big data and trying to process all the data can get overwhelming since we love to generate more data. (aka camera sensors are just getting higher res.) Basically what would be nice is a small selectable region from the whole image that I could get in high-res isn't this the same concept that the camera uses with its X focus points? But since you can not select where to place those points (ok center weight but you can only move it around a predefined area and in a predefined steps), the camera makers have to try and place more points in the camera to compensate for the immobility?

Thanks

Cary
Oliver

November 26th, 2018, 4:10 pm

Would it be possible to send only a small section of the image at high-res?
We'll have to see. Any kind of image manipulation (and cropping is one) is very expensive (resource-hungry) to do, and on our little microprocessor simply takes too long. We'll dig deeper into this when we get to this feature - afaik, some cameras have a similar feature that we might be able to make use of.