D810 GPS connection

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
Oliver

August 3rd, 2020, 10:57 am

Tom wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 3:49 am
... turning off the app should kill the connection and put everything to sleep, zero battery consumption, in particular for the camera.

If we did this, you would not be able to reconnect, when restarting the app, and wanting to reconnect.

Tom wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 3:49 am
Having to turn the gps feature off in the app before to turn off the app is an extra step and I did find my battery dead in my Nikon without use for some days, which never happened before.

This I agree with, and we'll have to check what's happening here. I'd categorize this as a bug, not a feature. Or probably it's actually two separate bugs, which are not at all related.

Unfoolishly wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 11:55 am
I would like to see the Unleashed be "kissed awake" after a period of inactivity (which the user can set from within the App) by turning on the camera at least once, so the Unleashed knows that it is going to be used that day (fire up the Unleashed to get ready!). It is of no use to establish a connection with an Unleashed/camera that resides for days/weeks/months in the cabinet, not being used at all.

Well, as I said, that's exactly what we have planned! ;-)
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Unfoolishly

August 3rd, 2020, 3:11 pm

Oliver wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 10:57 am
Unfoolishly wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 11:55 am
I would like to see the Unleashed be "kissed awake" after a period of inactivity (which the user can set from within the App) by turning on the camera at least once, so the Unleashed knows that it is going to be used that day (fire up the Unleashed to get ready!). It is of no use to establish a connection with an Unleashed/camera that resides for days/weeks/months in the cabinet, not being used at all.
Well, as I said, that's exactly what we have planned! ;-)
I mean it as in: the user of the Unleashed App is "free" to configure the Unleashed hardware in terms of the time it stays awake fully, goes into hibernate mode (user turns on/off/on camera constantly spread over the day), or completely shuts down for good (when the camera is turned off and stays turned off). That means that the Unleashed hardware will only consume 1 nano Amps in shutdown mode. It would be a nice to have when the user can determine/configure when the Unleashed hardware goes step by step in a deeper sleep mode: like gradually hibernating.
First: lower the GPS update after some time, then drop the GPS connection at all, then keep the BT only connected (no data), then disconnect the BT connection completely. And when the camera isn't used for 8 hours, fully go into hibernation, only to be awakened by the turning on of the camera itself.
But I like the idea that I - as a user - can influence/program the Unleashed hardware (setting a hardwarematic setting , like in an EEPROM kind of way) once from the Unleashed App, and no matter what happens, the Unleashed hardware behaves like it is programmed from the App from that moment on. Until the user adjusts the settings again from the App.

Just making sure everybody understands what I am explaining here :-)

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Andy

September 14th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Small update @Unfoolishly,

turning off Bluetooth completely when the Unleashed is sleeping is now implemented.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Unfoolishly

September 14th, 2020, 1:50 pm

Andy wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 12:57 pm
Small update @Unfoolishly,

turning off Bluetooth completely when the Unleashed is sleeping is now implemented.
Hi Andy, Oliver,
Applause! Hurray! Chapeau! Deep bow of gratitude :)

Does this also mean that when the camera is turned on after hours/days of being turned off, the camera/Unleashed connects to the smartphone Unleashed App in a fraction of a moment? So users don't have to pull out the battery from the camera and push it back in for a quick connection to the smartphone App?
Is the timing of dropping the BT connection configurable in the App? Some users like to turn off their camera for 1 hour, while others turn it off after 4 hours, etc... and later turn it on again expecting the GPS data still being valid. I mean: is the inactivity timer configurable from the App, so that the Unleashed is programmable in terms of dropping the BT after X hours / Y days of being turned off?

Does this also cover the battery draining problem of the camera for good, when camera/Unleashed is off for days/weeks? Have you tested this already?

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Andy

September 14th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Unfoolishly wrote:
Does this also mean that when the camera is turned on after hours/days of being turned off, the camera/Unleashed connects to the smartphone Unleashed App in a fraction of a moment? So users don't have to pull out the battery from the camera and push it back in for a quick connection to the smartphone App?
Yes, the reconnection problem was actually a separate bug, but yes, you can expect the Unleashed to connect right away. You have to press the camera shutter button and that should do it.

Unfoolishly wrote:
Is the timing of dropping the BT connection configurable in the App? Some users like to turn off their camera for 1 hour, while others turn it off after 4 hours, etc... and later turn it on again expecting the GPS data still being valid.
Yes, it will be configurable. GPS data validity is a completely separate thing, but it will also be configurable.

Unfoolishly wrote:
Does this also cover the battery draining problem of the camera for good, when camera/Unleashed is off for days/weeks? Have you tested this already?
Haven't tested long term yet, but we have fixed a couple of issues (unrelated to Bluetooth) causing battery drainage already.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Unfoolishly

September 14th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Andy wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 2:20 pm
- Yes, the reconnection problem was actually a separate bug, but yes, you can expect the Unleashed to connect right away. You have to press the camera shutter button and that should do it.
- Yes, it will be configurable. GPS data validity is a completely separate thing, but it will also be configurable.
- Haven't tested long term yet, but we have fixed a couple of issues (unrelated to Bluetooth) causing battery drainage already.
Great news!
I can confirm that battery draining was discovered last week for a second time. Camera/Unleashed was OFF for weeks, battery started fully charged but was fully empty :(
That should not have happened without the Unleashed attached. I have not measured the exact time slot in which the battery runs completely empty, but it sure is a problem with the current firmware. So I am looking eagerly towards a new firmware/App version :)

Greetings,
Unfoolishly