Laptop/Desktop app?

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
mrainer

December 1st, 2018, 8:07 pm

Any thoughts on doing a desktop/laptop app for Mac (and of course Windows)?
This would be great for wireless "tethering" assuming we can also have full-size image transfer.
Adrian

December 3rd, 2018, 11:34 am

Nothing official, but we 'may' consider porting the iOS App to macOS next year when Apple would allow building `UIKit` apps on macOS. This will imply that you'll need the newest macOS if Apple does not provide some kind of backwards compatibility for that. But again, nothing official yet!

Regarding Windows / Linux, there are currently no plans in that direction.
Adrian
📱 iOS developer at Foolography
Oliver

December 3rd, 2018, 11:48 am

Hi
We will definitely not do a windows app any time soon, as we don't see a real usecase for it.
We might at some point do a Mac app, just because we can and could reuse 99% of the iOS code.

However, full size image transfer is not something that is likely to be useable over Bluetooth, so that won't be the reason for us to do that. We will be able to do higher resolution thumbnails, but not full size images.
A D800 raw image is around 80-100MB, and even JPGs are often over 20MB, so even if we maxed out the transfer rate on Bluetooth 5.0 (the absolute maximum that's ever been tested was 1.4Mbps) that means one raw image would take about 8-10 minutes to transmit ideally. And on top of that, it's very unlikely we'll manage to get the absolute maximum speed. In other words, it will be WAY faster for you to get up, walk to the camera, take out the SD card, plug it in the laptop and copy the file, for each photo you take ;-)
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
skwerl

December 3rd, 2018, 7:56 pm

As a Windows user with interests in using this in a kiosk mode, I definitely have a use case for a Windows application. I'm also a software developer. If you have no plans for a Windows app, fine. Could you document the communications spec so we can write our own?

Thank you,
Josh Usovsky
Andy

December 5th, 2018, 11:13 am

Hi Josh,

what exactly is your use case? As Oliver mentioned, full-image transfers over Bluetooth would be so slow that they would be practically useless.

If you're already willing to develop your own software for Windows, why don't you just use the Nikon SDK and connect to the camera via USB?
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
TechnoDude

November 16th, 2021, 3:51 pm

Preview image transfer over bluetooth to a Windows device would be really useful... I could then have my laptop connected to a larger screen to allow clients to see what I capture as I shoot without having to have a cable tether.