Trigger announcement in the App

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
Unfoolishly

August 13th, 2020, 12:56 am

Hi All,

Is there currently a trigger announcement from the App that the camera is being triggered (like in: 3...2...1... cheese! Or some other sound?) by the Unleashed? And is it customizable in delaytime before triggering?

With the Nikon ML-L3 infrared remote I could hide the remote in my handpalm, but nowadays with these large smartphones being used as a remote control, it really looks kinda weird holding a computer in the shape of a surfboard in your hand and posing in a group photo (one is holding a smartphone, the others are not).

If it is not yet possible within the Unleashed App, will it be available any time soon? I don't want to be on the photo holding a huge flagship of a smartphone while the rest is smiling perfectly without.

I know I can use the timelapse screen to remotely trigger with a delay (and in the meantime hide the smartphone in my back pocket). But that is a bit too complex for just a few shots of a group photo.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Andy

August 13th, 2020, 1:45 pm

The Unleashed does not support delayed triggering yet.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Unfoolishly

August 13th, 2020, 8:16 pm

Andy wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 1:45 pm
The Unleashed does not support delayed triggering yet.
Okay, but will it in the future? Is it on the TODO list? I will have to use the ML-L3 with the camera delay time (2sec) for now.
Extra cool would be when the Unleashed does allow delayed triggering, that the Unleashed App can be set to play some sound (maybe a clock ticking sound, or a countdown as in: 3...2...1?).
The Nikon camera doesn't make some sound just before the end of the delay, but that means almost always that somebody in the group photo is looking in the wrong direction, has his/her eyes closed, etc.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Oliver

August 14th, 2020, 12:02 pm

Well, the Unleashed does already support delayed triggering if you set the drivemode to self-timer!

The Unleashed taking care of that (with finegrained control) is on the wish-list, not on the todo-list.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Unfoolishly

August 14th, 2020, 1:11 pm

Oliver wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 12:02 pm
Well, the Unleashed does already support delayed triggering if you set the drivemode to self-timer!
I see in the Nikon menu item (c3) the following choices for self-timer delays:
- 2 sec
- 5 sec
- 10 sec
- 20 sec
Interval between shots:
- 0.5 sec
- 1 sec
- 2 sec
- 3 sec

But you have to set the camera in self-timer mode physically. I find that a handicap in some cases. Why? Simple: when I am standing in the group of people, and forgot to set the camera in self-timer mode, there is no way for me to set the camera from a distance into self-timer mode. Using the Unleashed with the App, that restriction is gone forever! Just control your camera from a distance, without having to walk up to the camera back and forth, just because you forgot to turn the physical rotary knob into self-timer state.

It would be nice if the Unleashed is the controling party of the self-timer aspects of the camera, giving more finegrained options than the firmware in the camera does right now.

Oliver wrote: The Unleashed taking care of that (with finegrained control) is on the wish-list, not on the todo-list.
That is what I was refering to. That the Unleashed with the Unleashed App does the self-timer thing. Not the camera. So the advantage of this is that you can have more control over your camera than Nikon or Canon provide you with. Next to that, the App can be very useful in supplying a signal ("say cheese!") when the actual picture is taken (announcement just before the photo is shot).

I find the options the camera gives us, very restrictive. The Unleashed (with App) does not have that limitation (it is 'free' / 'not limited' by the firmware of the camera). Using the App would give the user more setting choices. And I like that: more options and freedom :-)

I am glad it is already on the wishlist.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Unfoolishly

August 14th, 2020, 5:34 pm

Hi All,

Actually, the user can use (or misuse?) the timelapse App functionality to do a self-timer sequence of 1 sec (minimum interval).
I do see a connection between the (timed) timelapse and self-timer functionality. Maybe combine the two features/modes?

In self-timer mode you want to select:
- the trigger itself (button pressed, IR remote, countdown timer, etc)
- the interval (0,1; 0,2; 0,5; 1; 2; 3; 5; 10; 15; 20 sec)
- the number of photos in each interval

In timelapse mode you want to select:
- the trigger itself (button pressed, IR remote, countdown timer, gps date/time, position/location, etc)
- the duration (execution time: begin and end time/date)
- the interval between photos being taken
- extra: the number of photos taken at each interval (burst mode? making sure no birds just fly by the lens and you have a black spot in your photo)
- extra: the number of photos taken over the whole period of the timelapse. Reverse decision of interval OR duration?

Because these parameters are interconnected, you better use sliders in the UI/UX that people can adjust so they see all changes at real time when one setting is adjusted: Live recalculation of parameters and adjustments of the sliders, until they hit the "freeze"/"accept"/"hold" button and all settings become static, so that no adjustments can be made when timelapse is running. It would be dramatic when you can mess up your running timelapse by accidently sliding a setting.

I think you can combine the self-timer and timelapse logic. Only the screens differ a bit.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Last edited by Unfoolishly on August 15th, 2020, 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oliver

August 15th, 2020, 11:23 am

yes, of course you can also start a timelapse with just two photos, the interval being your delay. You'll have one photo right when you press the trigger, and another at exactly your delay.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Unfoolishly

August 15th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Oliver wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 11:23 am
yes, of course you can also start a timelapse with just two photos, the interval being your delay. You'll have one photo right when you press the trigger, and another at exactly your delay.
Small addition: would it be possible for the development team to create a begin-delay as well? It is almost the same as a timed timelapse being triggered/started at a certain time/date based on GPS data. I understand that the first photo is a good measurement if the timelapse settings are applied well (iso, shutterspeed, aperture, etc).

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Andy

August 17th, 2020, 10:02 am

The Unleashed already supports delayed timelapses in firmware, but we never added UI for setting it up. It will come eventually with the timelapse/autoramp UI redesign.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Unfoolishly

August 17th, 2020, 11:41 am

Andy wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 10:02 am
The Unleashed already supports delayed timelapses in firmware, but we never added UI for setting it up. It will come eventually with the timelapse/autoramp UI redesign.
Great Andy, great to hear this. I also hope the UI/UX re-design and Unleased make it possible to have finegrained controls over the camera: much more options and much more timingdetails, because the Nikon camera's firmware is somewhat limited for certain situations. I hope the Unleashed can jump into that gap that the firmware of the Nikon camera's leave open?

Can we expect the redesign of the timelapse/autoramp this year to be completed and published?

Greetings,
Unfoolishly