Wish: Would it be possible to create a GPX file

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
richt

August 15th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Hi,

I’m a new Unleashed N1 user and looking forward to taking my camera/N1 combo on a railway trip in a few weeks time. My wife has neither a Nikon nor a Canon camera so she can’t benefit from Unleashed. So, I wonder if it might be possible to generate a GPX file of waypoints where my camera has taken photos. The GPX file could then be used to add GPS data to my wife’s photos.

I’m assuming that the N1 is notified or aware of when the camera takes a photo and can communicate with the app In order to request a new waypoint be added. I’m further assuming the N1 holds the last GPS location received from the Unleashed app, in order to send to the camera when it requires its location, even if the app does not memorise the location once sent
Oliver

August 17th, 2020, 8:53 am

Hi Richt,

at the moment, neither the app, nor the Unleashed will save any location data. We pass it all straight to the camera, which saves it the moment you take a photo. (Well, OK, we do save the last known location for 30minutes in the Unleashed in case we don't get updated locations for a while)

However, your idea can be accomplished by fetching the GPS data from your photos on the trip, creating a GPX file form that (if that's even needed), and applying those locations to your wife's photos.

I'm sure there are several options for software out there that does exactly this, as I know it's quite popular to do so using the smartphone photos' locations to apply to photo's without location data.

My guess is that even Ligthroom can do this, or a software called Geosetter. There might be much better options than those by now - I haven't stayed uptodate for a few years.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.