Delaying trigger moment with finegrained control from the Unleashed

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
Unfoolishly

September 3rd, 2020, 4:04 pm

Hi All,

This request is somewhat related to this topic, but with a different goal.

I would like to suggest a new feature: delayed triggering of the camera with a minimum delay configured in the Unleashed, so that the camera takes the photo just a little bit later then actually in "real time" from the App.

The reason for asking this feature is simple: when you have multiple camera's being operated at the same time by the App, and also triggered at the same time, you will get in "trouble" when all camera's are fired at the same time when flashes are involved. I need to find a way to let camera B trigger just a fraction of a second later than camera A is triggered. Just to avoid the photo being taken by camera B not get poluted by the flash of camera A. That way I can pevent that the flash of camera A influences the photo of camera B with the light coming off from the flash attached to camera A.

There are situations in which camera's are placed within the "line of fire" (= opposite camera viewpoints but in sight of the other camera) and will cause that they can influence each other's photo's, but is not wanted. There are situations in which camera's are placed together (grouped) and will cause that they cannot influence each other's photo's, because they operate in the same camera viewpoint. The former situation causes the flashes to influence the photo's , the latter situation causes the flashes to have no effect on the photo's (because of the same moment taken, which is preferred).

A possible solution would be to set a micro delay inside the Unleashed or within the App for each camera operated by the Unleashed App.
This is related to the delayed triggering topic discussed before. Only this time the pre-setup delay is not used to delay the moment of taking the photo, but to prevent a camera to take the photo at the exact same moment another camera is fired too. Thus, a delay on top of a timed delay. For example: While the normal delay can be 10 min for each camera, camera A can be set up with an extra delay of 0,05 seconds later, and camera B can be set up with an extra delay of 0,15 seconds, while camera C can be set up with no extra delay at all. That will prevent the camera's messing up each lightning due to their flashes firing all at once.

This feature would be highly appreciated!

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Andy

September 7th, 2020, 9:48 am

I am not sure how long flashes stay on for, but when you trigger cameras at the same time, there will be at least 15 ms in between triggering the cameras. That's just because of how Bluetooth works.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Unfoolishly

September 7th, 2020, 11:32 pm

Andy wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 9:48 am
I am not sure how long flashes stay on for, but when you trigger cameras at the same time, there will be at least 15 ms in between triggering the cameras. That's just because of how Bluetooth works.
If both camera's get triggered from the App (over Bluetooth with a delay of 15ms) to take a photo, then both camera's will be taking "simultaneously" a photo, and thus both flashes on the camera's flash at the same time. This causes that the light of flash A is seen on the photo of camera B and the light of flash B is seen on the photo of camera A. This is absolutely not preferred when camera's are directed in each other's line of sight.
I am hoping that some finegrained trigger-control moment can be set/configured from within the App into the Unleasheds so that the App triggers the camera's all at the same time, but the Unleashed itself (the hardware) holds an extra delay moment (which each Unleashed a different delay value of course) so that the Unleashed communicates to the camera the action to take the photo with a different micro-delay between camera's that have received the shutter-pressed action signal at the same time.
I am not sure if there is a difference between 'half-pressed" and "full-pressed" actions from the Unleashed, but the extra micro-delay should not be in the "half-pressed" action, but in the "full-pressed" action. I think the flash-seen-in-photo problem can be solved this way. Or at least I hope so.

BTW: is there an option in the App for the triggerbutton(s) to tell the camera to only do a "half-pressed" action? Not actually taking a photo yet, but just to tell the camera to focus again? Same for the "trigger all"-button.

Of course does this feature have to be mentioned in the UI when it is active or when it is off. I mean, when the extra micro delay is actually being used or not. In some cases you do want that extra micro-delay, in other cases you don't want that micro-delay. And the user must be made aware of this feature being active or not through the user interface.

It sure would help in situations where the camera's/flashes are in each other's line of sight.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!