Focus area selection.

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
Billgriz57

September 26th, 2020, 3:37 am

Just purchased the N2 for Nikon Z6 (FW 3.0). I would love to be able to select the focus area via the app.
Thanks,
Bill G.
Oliver

September 28th, 2020, 11:27 am

Hi Bill,
We considered implementing this, but decided it would be more or less worthless without a live-view image in the app too, or at least image review in a quality high enough to be able to judge focus, which isn't anywhere near possible with the currently transmitted thumbnails. In all other cases you'd need to look through the viewfinder or the main LCD when composing and focussing, so you might as well focus there.

However, we'll gladly hear of any use-cases you see where setting the Focuspoint remotely would still be helpful even without live-view! Maybe that'll help bring the feature back to our to-do list ;-)
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Billgriz57

October 3rd, 2020, 4:45 am

Oliver wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 11:27 am
Hi Bill,
We considered implementing this, but decided it would be more or less worthless without a live-view image in the app too, or at least image review in a quality high enough to be able to judge focus, which isn't anywhere near possible with the currently transmitted thumbnails. In all other cases you'd need to look through the viewfinder or the main LCD when composing and focussing, so you might as well focus there.

However, we'll gladly hear of any use-cases you see where setting the Focuspoint remotely would still be helpful even without live-view! Maybe that'll help bring the feature back to our to-do list ;-)
Ok, so I may not have been clear on my request. When I mentioned the focus area, I was not referring to a focus point. I was trying to not confuse it with focus mode (manual, continuous ,etc). I was referring to the focus type (I guess that's how to word it), as in large area auto focus, dynamic AF, etc. However, in thinking about your comments, that really would not be much different than having to pick a focus point so I understand your reasoning.
Thanks for your time.
Bill
Oliver

October 14th, 2020, 3:13 pm

Ah, I see, no, you're right, that's what's known as Focus Area, whereas I meant Focus point.
Well, we actually already get that info from the camera, but would need to display it somewhere in the app.
But yeah, we didn't give this any priority for the same reasons, that it's not typically needed while remote controlling. However, it's actually more useful than actually setting the focus point, eg to simply switch focus to Auto or 3D when trying to shoot a selfie or group shot, and you notice focus hunting or something. We'll consider adding it as a second picker in the AF/MF setting in the future, but don' t hold your breath - it won't be any time soon.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.