Switch off and on

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
UweKoch

September 30th, 2020, 5:42 pm

Hello, the Unleashed at my Canon EOS750D ist very usefull and I would like to keep it plugged in all the time.
But sometimes I want to transfer pictures by WiFi to the image.canon cloud or to my tablet. Wifi cannot be switched on inthe 750D as long as the Unleashed is plugged in into the USB port.
So my idea is to switch off the Unleashed by a new feature in the app.
When it is switched off, the camera cannot recogize it and so it will activate the WiFi again.
The Unleashed could be swicthed on again by Power Off/On of the camera. The Unleashed will be powered on also and can reboot to normal working mode.
So if it is possible to stop the USB interface in the Unleashed this should be possible by software via Bluetooth from the app.
If it is not possible than this feature could be implemented in the next generationof Unleashed, maybe at least by a simple Port switch at the Unleashed.
Regards
U w e
Unfoolishly

September 30th, 2020, 5:56 pm

UweKoch wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 5:42 pm

The Unleashed could be swicthed on again by Power Off/On of the camera. The Unleashed will be powered on also and can reboot to normal working mode.

I don't think that this is a good idea. You don't want to walk up to the camera back and forth just to physically switch off/on the camera so that the Unleashed becomes operational again. Canon camera's give no power to the Unleashed when turned OFF. Nikon camera's do give power to the Unleashed when turned OFF. Resetting the Unleashed by turning on/off the camera won't work for this reason alone.
UweKoch wrote: So if it is possible to stop the USB interface in the Unleashed this should be possible by software via Bluetooth from the app.

Yes, this is what you want: through Bluetooth remotely switch off the USB interface temporarily using the App, and either let it turn on again by timer or manually turning it on again.
That way you can switch between the LiveView mode / WiFi mode and the remote controlling of the camera through the Unleashed App.
UweKoch wrote: If it is not possible than this feature could be implemented in the next generationof Unleashed, maybe at least by a simple Port switch at the Unleashed.
If it is not possible with the current hardware setup, using tri-state ports to switch on/off (i.e. electronically disconnect) the USB connection, it would be a requested future design feature. Definitely!

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Oliver

September 30th, 2020, 11:29 pm

Yeah, that's a fairly simple request. We'll certainly think about it!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Unfoolishly

October 2nd, 2020, 12:59 am

Hi all,

In future versions of the Unleashed you could also use a chip that supports Bluetooth and WiFi: so that you have best of both worlds. WiFi for LiveView and fast downloads of photo's. Bluetooth for controlling the camera when WiFi is not needed. WiFi is battery intensive in use, so you could switch WiFi on for only a short amount of time (burst mode) and continue using Bluetooth for the overal features.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!