Disable USB connection to camera using the Unleashed App (tri-stating the USB I/O pins)

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
Andy

October 19th, 2020, 10:18 am

It's not likely that this will be implemented, or at least it will be very low on our priority list. This is something that would only be useful on Nikon cameras, and you can already achieve the same by removing the USB cable, so it's not like this feature is preventing anyone from doing something.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
Unfoolishly

October 19th, 2020, 1:57 pm

Andy wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 10:18 am
It's not likely that this will be implemented, or at least it will be very low on our priority list. This is something that would only be useful on Nikon cameras, and you can already achieve the same by removing the USB cable, so it's not like this feature is preventing anyone from doing something.
Hi Andy,
Thanks for the feedback.
Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Oliver

October 19th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Yeah, again, it's a very special wish for a seldom use-case, and even in that case it only really applies to quite old cameras, so I also don't see it being implemented any time soon.

We'll write it down nonetheless, and maybe if we implement related changes for other reasons, we'll consider adding such a setting, if it's not too much trouble. Don't hold your breath though.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Unfoolishly

October 19th, 2020, 3:42 pm

Oliver wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 3:29 pm
Yeah, again, it's a very special wish for a seldom use-case, and even in that case it only really applies to quite old cameras, so I also don't see it being implemented any time soon.

We'll write it down nonetheless, and maybe if we implement related changes for other reasons, we'll consider adding such a setting, if it's not too much trouble. Don't hold your breath though.
Hi Oliver,
Well, one of the main reasons I bought the Unleasheds is so that I can use the smartphone as a remote trigger device, not being limited by the physical cable length of the physical remote shutter release cable. Another important reason for buying the Unleasheds was that I could easily use the smartphone for the simple things I want to do with the camera, like use LiveView on the camera in combination with the remote shutter release in the App.
So, to me it is somewhat disappointing to see that I can't easily use the smartphone and Unleashed without constantly pulling out the USB cable attached to the Unleashed/camera. I would have thought that this was already handled well by tri-stating the I/O ports from the App. Of course, the real problem is within the Nikon camera and firmware that does not permit both the USB port and the LiveView to be operational together at the same time.
If it isn't too much of development time to implement this feature, please reconsider it again. It will make it so much easier to not having to worry about pulling out and pushing in the USB cable on the camera each time I wnat to switch on LiveView on the camera and use the smartphone as the remote.
Just my 2cts.
Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Unfoolishly

September 9th, 2021, 7:03 pm

Hi All,

With these new Unleashed settings becoming available to us Unleashed users, I would like to suggest/recommend another setting which has a more radical approach to it.
What I currently miss but would like to see is a toggle switch (on/off) in the App to set the Unleashed into a "remote control only", and thus disabling the USB port completely (making it not consume battery energy) so that the smartphone or accessory is only used for triggering the camera to make a photo. It would be nice to have a software switch in the Unleashed settings to enable/disable USB port usage, so we can leave the USB cable attached to the camera, not having to pull it out physically.
It will save battery life when the USB port is disabled completely. Especially when you only want to use the smartphone as a remote trigger. Why should we waste camera battery energy at all when we know we only want to use the Unleashed with a smartphone to trigger the camera. Then we can turn the USB port completely off.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Oliver

September 9th, 2021, 8:25 pm

As I've said, we'll implement this when we need it for something else that we're considering too ;-)
To you, it's just a simple switch in the UI and a bit of code to tristate the USB pins. But the Unleashed firmware is a very, very complex project with very many interdependabilities.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.