A clear distinction in the Unleashed App and hardware which GPS source is providing the GPS data to the camera

Here you can post all things you think are missing within in the app – we really appreciate your input.
Unfoolishly

October 14th, 2020, 12:02 am

Hi all,

Small request: is it possible that the Unleashed App provides in the Quick Settings Menu (the menu that says: "Sending location data...") to which Unleashed this GPS data is sent? It would be useful if the Quick Settings Menu indicates which Unleashed(s) is/are getting the location data of the smartphone or receive from the external GPS receiver (or both at the same time?).
Same goes for the Unleashed blinking LED sequence and coloring. I am not sure if I can distinguish between smartphone or external source. Would be cool to have a different coloring/sequence in the LED to tell the user from which source the GPS data is coming.

I was last weekend dining in a restaurant (which is located in the vaults of Utrecht), so it is undergounds (no external GPS receiver has reception underground). I saw a red blinking LED, so I knew the external GPS isn't feeding the Unleashed with data. I turned on the smartphone with the Unleashed App getting GPS data from the restaurant's WiFi network. Haha: reception underground, due to the WiFi network! Great! I can now geotag underground also, as long as there is a WiFi network providing the data!

Thanks in advance,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!
Unfoolishly

October 14th, 2020, 12:03 pm

Hi all,

Small update. See this forum post.
Andy wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 3:48 pm
In between any of those sequences, there may be a single red blink. That means that something is wrong, and you should open your app to see what's going on. So far we only have GPS related alerts, so every time you see a red blink that means that there's something wrong with the geotagging feature.
I would love to see that the LED blinking indicates which GPS source is providing the data AND/OR which GPS source is causing the problem (red blinking of the LED).
So, three situations concerning the GPS feature:
1) Internal: smartphone is the GPS provider,
2) External: GPS receiver is the GPS provider,
3) No GPS provider. Intentionally set that way!

If option 3 is set, no blinking.
If option 2 is set, blinking twice.
If option 1 is set, blinking once.

The reason for this is that I want to know by looking at the Unleashed hardware which GPS source is currently the GPS provider. Not all GPS sources are very precise, so it is good to know which GPS source is currently the supplier of the data: smartphone or GPS receiver? To notice the difference between the two on the Unleashed, you can take measures to improve the reception of the prefered GPS source. There are several cases you would like to know which source is providing the GPS data: when you walk out of the Bluetooth range of the sender, when you walk in a certain area and a switch has taken place between internal (smartphone) and external (GPS receiver) source, when no reception is possible with both sources, etc.

Example: when walking outside a building and the external GPS is the source (Unleashed indicates that by blinking twice) but then entering into a building the internal GPS source is used (Unleashed indicates that by blinking once) the camera user knows by looking at the Unleashed which source is having reception and which one is not. You can easily determine as a camera user if you do have reception and which device is giving you the reception without having to pull out the smartphone/external GPS receiver from the camera bag to look for yourself which one is having reception.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
Unfoolishly
Retired customer of the Unleashed. I have given up on this project, it's a never-ending story of bugs. Goodbye everyone!