Nikon Z6ii USB not active

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
PhotoGregg

July 21st, 2021, 11:51 pm

Currently I cannot get the USB to show as active. Therefore I cannot review photos within the app or use any other functionality that rely on USB (Metering,etc..) I've seen several post about the potentially bad USB cables, so this week I ordered two new cables that arrived today. My symptoms did not change. It does appear that the other functions within the app are working OK. I'll be testing Timelapse and Autoramp later this week.
Here's the details with my equipment:
Z6ii camera firmware 1.2
Unleashed N2 Serial number 4721
Firmware A 1.4.5
Firmware B 1.4.9
Firmware C 1.4.0

Any advise on what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Gregg
PhotoGregg

July 31st, 2021, 7:43 pm

After testing the Autoramp TL, most of the functions seem to work. There are now a couple of things that are of concern. When using the Autoramp TimeLapse if you move away from the app or even if my screen shuts off due to the Screen Timeout settings, all the configurations are reset to default once I move back into the app. The App and device still functioned as was originally set with the TimeLapse. You just could not tell that from the display on my phone.

Also, now in the Autoramp settings I only have one Algorithm available to me. It's the EV-meter Smoothing 24h. All other options are not available.

Any reply and/or response would be greatly appreciated.
Oliver

July 31st, 2021, 9:18 pm

Hi Gregg, good to hear the the Autoramping with EV meter works.
the lack of the other Autoramping algorithms is because they are all based on image Data, for which the USB connection is required.

I don't understand why you're having issues with the USB cables.
We have had quite a number of customers plug them in the wrong way round - could you make sure you're plugging it into the Unleashed so that the cable is pointing toward the lens, and not toward the back of the camera? the side that goes into the camera can be plugged in either way round, it doesn't matter.

let me know if that fixes your issue.

As for the resetting to default, could you send me a screenshot of what you mean? (maybe one before the screen goes off, and one where you turn it back on and see the "defaults"?)

Thanks.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Oliver

July 31st, 2021, 9:21 pm

Oh, and are you using iOS or Android? If iOS, I'd like to invite you to our Beta programme, where we're currently one of the final rounds of a brand new Firmware, with lots and lots of bugfixes and improvements. you're welcome to send me your Appstore Email address to beta @ foolography . com, so that I can invite you.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
PhotoGregg

August 20th, 2021, 11:25 pm

Unfortunately I can no longer participate with troubleshooting this error. I have jettisoned my device in favor of a different solution.

Thank you for your time.

Gregg