Poor Hardware Adaptability for Nikon D5200

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
mattxlau

September 3rd, 2021, 8:39 pm

I'm quite pleased with the app & technology of the product; however, the N2 + 8pin cable design is not well suited for the layout of the Nikon D5200 camera. The left/right angle of the A/V cable means that the thin cable is left in a compromised position when in use due to the (non-removable) dust flap in the camera design - see pictures below.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or found a solution to work around (e.g., a GPS cable extension)?

Oliver

September 3rd, 2021, 11:00 pm

You're right, that is less than ideal.
I have two possible solutions:

1) Our cables can handle tight corners quite well. As long as you leave them in that position, and don't constantly bend and straighten them, I don't see an issue. There is actually a bit of space behind the Unleashed, so you could "tuck" the cable under the left side of the Unleashed, and then let the cable loop the other way.

2) You might find that the open flap will bother you more than the cable issue, and while it's not 100% reversible, there is a way to cut the flap off so that you can re-insert it again in the future and it will function almost as new: cut the rubber hinges as close to the flap as possible, then pull out the flap. when you reinsert the flap, the cut hinges will still have almost 180º rubber and will hold up very well in most cases except when you pull the flap straight outward with some force. I took a video of when I cut our D7100's rubber flap a few years ago.

https://share.foolography.com/D7100-flap-cut.mp4
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.