USB is not working anymore [solved - cable inserted in reverse]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
rkueng

October 12th, 2021, 5:02 pm

So far I worked with a Nikon D7500 without the USB cable connected.
Yesterday I wanted to use my Nikon D7000 with the USB cable and an adapter USB mini male to USB Micro (D-Lock Nr.65155). But it did not work, I could not set anything, saying USB cable unplugged.. Going back to my D7500 to check USB cable, I recognized that the camera accepts one setting and one shot and then blocks. Also Picture review does not work. With unplugged USB the Unleashed seems to work as it should. My order number was order #19698 in May 2021.

Any Idea? Do I need dedicated cable from you for N2 to D7000?
Oliver

October 12th, 2021, 8:42 pm

No, the Micro cable you got for the D7500 with an adapter to Mini USB should work just fine.
The only thing I can think of is that you might have plugged the cable into the Unleashed the wrong way round. The cable needs to point toward the front of the camera.

We have also had a few cables where the pins protrude from the plug that goes into the Unleashed ever so slightly. If you then press those cables into the Unleashed all the way, there's a chance that they touch a metal surface in the Unleashed, which in turn causes the cable to stop working (don't worry, nothing breaks, but it won't work while the metal is touched). You can try removing the cable just a tiny bit (0.1 mm is more than enough) and see if that helps.

I hope that helps!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
rkueng

October 13th, 2021, 9:13 am

Great! Yes the connector at the unleashed unit side was wrong way around. It works now. Thank you Oliver for this hint.
I assumed so far that the connector is mechanically protected against wrong insertion, as every USB and others are.
As electrical engineer I propose to change this in the future or to warn from doing this the wrong way.

Thanks again for the solution.
Oliver

October 13th, 2021, 3:10 pm

Great to hear.

There is actually a protection against reverse insertion, There's a slot in the plug and a key in the socket. But since it's in the plastic casing, it's not hard enough to overcome.
We were expecting some customers to manage, so we made sure the electrical connections won't cause any damage if it's inserted in reverse, it just won't work while it's the wrong way round.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.