Firmware update issue [solved]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
watsonm

February 9th, 2019, 11:55 am

updated app to 1.0.1 and was asked to install firmware update.
This seemd to go okay, it wanting to install
A 1.2.0
B 1.2.0
C 1.2.1

It reached 100% and said update successful but each time I now go into the app it repeats the message and says I have
A 1.0.0
b 1.0.0
C 1.0.0
and wants me to install the update again.
Tried forgetting the unleashed, powering off the unleashed, rebooted phone, flush cache and data on app.

Any help apppreciated... Mike

Nikon D7200 , Sony Xperia ZX.
-----------------------------
Regards MIke
Oliver

February 9th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Hi watsonm,

did you by any chance pair the Unleashed in your system settings before pairing it in our app?
This is not necessary, and can actually cause problems - maybe this one included

My thought is that your phone cached some of the Bluetooth characteristics, including the firmware version. We changed how this behaves in this update, so the phone could just be showing some old, cached values. Our Android developers will look into it on Monday. It could well be that the firmware is up to date nonetheless.

One change you'd notice easily: if you remove the SD card, does the triggerbutton in the app get grayed out? If so, then it's probabbly still the old firmare, if it stays white, then you're on the new firmware. Remove the USB cable to be sure.

You could try to turn off Bluetooth and turn it on again, or if that doesn't help, try to "reset Network settings" on your phone - we had some other customers with Sony Z phones who had other issues that were fixed with this reset.

Greetings from Berlin,
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
podelwitzer

February 9th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Dasselbe Problem hatte ich auch. Geräte entkoppeln, Cache leeren und Handy neu starten. Danach wird die neue Firmware angezeigt.
watsonm

February 9th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Thanks folks, clearing the cache AND rebooting phone seems to have sorted it.....
-----------------------------
Regards MIke
Oliver

February 11th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Excellent, glad to hear it! Thanks for the feedback!
AperturePerception

February 14th, 2019, 2:27 am

I'm on a D500 and I have updated the App on my Android.
When I connect to Unleashed, I get a number "1" icon stating that there is a new firmware update Ver: 1.2.1, and so forth. I update it, I get the green check mark saying that it was successful and after rebooting my phone, and shutting the camera off and unplugging Unleashed, it still wants to update firmware version because under "current version" it shows up as the old one. Ver 1.0.0
Anything I am doing wrong here?
toorude

February 15th, 2019, 8:34 am

Same issue for me, but unpairing, cache clearing in the app, rebooting, or any combination of these actions won't help. When I clear cache in the app, I have to re-install the firmware. Once installed, the attached screen is visible, message permanently visible. D850, Google Pixel3, Android 9.
Screenshot_20190215-011054.png
Screenshot_20190215-011054.png (98.85 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
Screenshot_20190215-011125.png
Screenshot_20190215-011125.png (72 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
Nikon D850 FW C1.20 LD 2.017
Nikon Z7II FW C1.40 LF 1.01 W 1.03
Unleashed N1 A 2.1.4 - B 2.1.3 - C 2.0.0
Unleashed N2 A 2.1.4 - B 2.1.3 - C 2.0.0
Unleashed App 2.0.4
QStarz BL-1000ST
Google Pixel 4 Android 12
Oliver

February 15th, 2019, 11:36 am

Hi toorude,

The Firmware seems to have updated completely, and our Android guys are looking into the issue remaining, that the old firmware versions are incorrectly still displayed. That firmware update badge is very annoying - I completely agree with that ;-)

As i wrote earlier: please double-check that the new firmware is actually installed:
One change you'd notice easily: if you remove the SD card, does the triggerbutton in the app get grayed out? If so, then it's probabbly still the old firmare, if it stays white, then you're on the new firmware. Remove the USB cable to be sure.
Oliver

February 15th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Hi AperturePerception
AperturePerception wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 2:27 am
I'm on a D500 and I have updated the App on my Android.
When I connect to Unleashed, I get a number "1" icon stating that there is a new firmware update Ver: 1.2.1, and so forth. I update it, I get the green check mark saying that it was successful and after rebooting my phone, and shutting the camera off and unplugging Unleashed, it still wants to update firmware version because under "current version" it shows up as the old one. Ver 1.0.0
Anything I am doing wrong here?
I've moved your post here from general, and merged it with this thread, it seems to be the same issue!

see my post above as an answer
Oliver

February 15th, 2019, 4:43 pm

So we looked into the issue, and have a potential solution.

It could be that you "Bonded" the Unleashed with your phones, by pairing with the Unleashed in your Phone's system settings, rather than just in the app.

This bonding causes the phone to cache the Bluetooth services and characteristics.
We changed some of these in the firmware update (for example the one telling the app the firmware version), but if bonded, your phones don't ever learn about these changes.

We're looking into ways to prevent this in the future, but for now, all you need to do is go to your Phones Bluetooth settings, "Unpair" the Unleashed there, and probably also unpair it from the Unleashed app to be sure. Then reconnect it, but this time only from the app.

Let us know if that worked!