Latest app crashing on Android 12 [solved]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Oliver

May 5th, 2022, 12:04 am

We've received a few crash reports in the last few days since our latest app update came out.

We're really sorry if you're affected!

There seem to be some undocumented changes regarding the permissions, that we hadn't run into until now. It seems that the previous app release wasn't affected even when upgrading to Android 12. For some reason, Android has new requirements for permissions for the latest App release, even though we made no changes that could explain them. Of course we normally request those permissions from you if they haven't been granted, but the change that was made with Android 12 causes a new exception that we simply haven't handled yet, because we didn't know about it. We've already implemented gracefully handling this exception since receiving some crash reports. We’ve prepared a release today that should become public in the next few days.

But you don't have to wait for the next update: You can get around the issue by giving the Unleashed app the permissions manually in the system preferences:
The Unleashed app needs LOCATION and NEARBY DEVICES permission to be able to connect or scan. This should solve the crashes!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Oliver

May 7th, 2022, 6:27 pm

Fixed with the latest App update!
toorude

May 9th, 2022, 6:11 pm

I cannot confirm this: Except of GPS writing and releasing the shutter, unleashed N1 on my D850 is not functional anymore since the last update, although LOCATION and NEARBY DEVICES permission is granted on Pixel 4. Regardless which button I press: Unleashed says it is idle to save power.
Tapping anywhere doesn't wake it up. Pressing the shutter in the app works to release the shutter on the camera, but unleashed otherwise remains idle with no menue operation possible except of releasing the shutter....
Also, there is a message in the firmware menue that says an app update is available, but in the app store nothing newer than 2.0.4 is available, which I already have on my phone.
Nikon D850 FW C1.20 LD 2.017
Nikon Z7II FW C1.40 LF 1.01 W 1.03
Unleashed N1 A 2.1.4 - B 2.1.3 - C 2.0.0
Unleashed N2 A 2.1.4 - B 2.1.3 - C 2.0.0
Unleashed App 2.0.4
QStarz BL-1000ST
Google Pixel 4 Android 12
Oliver

May 10th, 2022, 1:31 pm

Hi and sorry for the trouble!

We have heard of this and even seen it once or twice after making several improvements that should have fixed this But as soon as we try to reproduce the issue, everything it works perfectly again. So we have still have not been able to track this issue down to finally fix it.
It's almost definitely related to the Qstarz being connected - so you can try unpairing and re-pairing it. or try using it without the Qstarz, to see if the issue persists.

If there is anything you notice how we could consistently reproduce the issue, that would be really helpful!

Sorry again for the issue!
toorude

May 11th, 2022, 7:46 am

I unpaired the Qstarz, then it worked. After pairing again, it didn't. I checked the settings and found one parameter (which unfortunately I do not remember) listed as ERR. I changed this parameter, from there on it worked until now ....
Nikon D850 FW C1.20 LD 2.017
Nikon Z7II FW C1.40 LF 1.01 W 1.03
Unleashed N1 A 2.1.4 - B 2.1.3 - C 2.0.0
Unleashed N2 A 2.1.4 - B 2.1.3 - C 2.0.0
Unleashed App 2.0.4
QStarz BL-1000ST
Google Pixel 4 Android 12
Oliver

May 11th, 2022, 11:21 am

Most likely it was the GPS mode.
We just found a possible issue with this, though it should rather be an inconvenience than a proper bug. We'll of course fix it nonetheless.

We've been working on tracking down the cause for what you saw: It seems to happen when the Unleashed goes into deep sleep and turns off, and then wakes up again when you start using the camera again. in this case, both the app tries to connect to the Unleashed, and the Unleashed tries to connect to the Qstarz at the same time.
Usually this goes well, but sometimes it doesn't. We haven't been able to narrow down the reason for why it doesn't, but are on it.