Trying to get Live Working on my D850 [solved - not possible]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
radwar

March 9th, 2019, 6:18 pm

I am unable to get Live View working from the app with the N1 attached to my D850. Am I missing something? any tips pointers greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Oliver

March 19th, 2019, 11:36 pm

Hi Radwar,
Unfortunately Live-view is not one of the Unleashed's features.
We only support transmitting small thumbnails of an image for quick review and checking exposure after you've taken a shot.
For this you need to connect the small usb cable included with your Unleashed, and in the photo screen, at the bottom right, tap on the thumbnail icon. then slide the switch to enable "Photo review", and take another shot.

We are going to work on Live-view as well, but because of the bandwidth limitations of BLE, it will certainly not be a smooth stream of high-resolution video. We will try our best to get something useable, but even that will be difficult to achieve, and will still take quite some time!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
radwar

April 8th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Thanks for the info. However if the camera is setup in Liveview and I open the app, the live view gets disabled in the camera. So how do I make both work?
Oliver

April 9th, 2019, 12:53 pm

If you unplug the USB cable, you can use Liveview while the app is in the foreground.
If the usb cable is plugged in and the app is in the background (eg phone screen is off), you can also use Liveview.
If the app is running in the foreground and the USB cable is plugged in, Nikon does not allow Live-View to be on. I have no idea why they do this, but it's a limitation we have to work with.
radwar

April 13th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Can you tell me what features will be missing if the *USB* cable is not plugged in?
Oliver

April 13th, 2019, 9:48 pm

From: https://www.foolography.com/faqs/why-do ... all-cable/
On all Nikons, the USB cable enables getting thumbnails, and also activates some extra settings, most notably metering mode (Spot/Matrix/Centerweighted). It also makes automatic switching to Video mode a little easier.