Can't update firmware [solved with freezer trick]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Barbazul

August 24th, 2022, 2:44 am

My unleashed appears to be paired but does not trigger and does not update firmware.
I've tried to reset to factory, unpair, reboot, remove and pluc again... Nothing works, any clue?

Camera is Nikon z6.

It start happening when I attempted to update the firmware.

Here a screen recording.
https://youtube.com/shorts/UxxW3R3QkRw?feature=share
Oliver

August 24th, 2022, 11:41 am

Hi and sorry for the issues with the update!

I see that your serial number is below 4500, so we almost definitely have a fix for you. You will not believe this but the following trick will almost definitely help: Put the Unleashed in the freezer for 10-20 minutes, then plug it into the camera and try the update again, while it’s still as cold as possible.
We took a long time trying to find the cause of this problem. We found the problem and fixed it, but the fix comes in Firmware A, so if there’s ever a problem during the update of Firmware A, the fix will no longer work either.. The trick with the freezer has a scientific explanation too - now that we know the underlying cause.

Please try a few times - we've had cases where it worked only after the 4th or 5th attempt, see these threads:

viewtopic.php?p=4068#p4068
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1345

I hope it helps!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Barbazul

August 25th, 2022, 3:11 am

Hello Oliver,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've tryed the frezzer trick wirh 10 attempts but didn't work. I will try more tomorrow but is there something alse I could do?

Kind regards
Barbazul

August 31st, 2022, 7:29 pm

I've done over 30 attempts without success leaving it in the freezer for 20-60min. Almost giving up I forgot it in the freezer for few days and today I tried again and it worked. It is now updated.

Thanks for the help.
Oliver

August 31st, 2022, 10:02 pm

Haha,
wow, that was unexpected, but I'm glad you got it to work:

The good news: there is a fix in our firmware for the problem for which the freezer is a workaround. So you won't need to do this again, unless firmware update A fails mid-way at some point, then it can happen again.

Enjoy your cool new updated Unleashed ;-)
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.