Battery draining not solved with new firmware update!

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
PapaBear

September 25th, 2023, 10:00 am

Dear Foolography,

Have you noticed that the battery draining still isn't solved with the new firmware update?
I left the battery in the camera, and after some time period (one or two weeks) the battery was completely drained.... again!
I thought this problem was solved with the new firmware update, but it clearly hasn't been solved.
That means that I still have to go back to the old routine: pulling the battery out when I don't use the camera.

PapaBear out
Oliver

September 26th, 2023, 3:21 pm

Hi Papabear, could you remind us which camera you use?
Do you turn off your camera, or just let it go to standby?

Have you checked the Advanced settings:
Menu -> Unleashed with gear icon -> Your Unleashed -> Settings

Especially deep sleep mode and deep sleep timeout are relevant here.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
PapaBear

September 27th, 2023, 12:08 am

Dear Foolography,

I normally use my camera for a while and then for a while not in use.
Previously I would pull out the battery because of the battery draining. But I assumed that it now was solved in firmware/app 3.0.0.

What settings should I apply for optimal use, preventing battery draining?

I am on a Nikon D7100.

PapaBear out
Oliver

September 27th, 2023, 1:54 pm

Yes, of course! Not many of us can use the cameras all day, every day ;-)
The question is what you do when you don't use it: Do you switch the power switch on the camera off, or do you just put the camera away, leave the power switch on and let it go into standby automatically?

Deep sleep mode OFF is the new default, but you'll need to turn your camera on to be able to reconnect (same as all other Brands but Nikon)
In the other modes, the Unleashed stays connected to the App, but goes into a low power mode. This means that you can wake up the Unleashed (and camera) from the app - great if you have a camera set up in a difficult to reach location.

Hmm, we have a D7100 here and use it very frequently during development - it's certainly not a general issue with this camera model.
hubaiz

September 30th, 2023, 8:52 am

I have the same problem with Nikon Z6
yesterday I turned on my z6 and made the first image at 21:11. The camera battery was at 100%
battery_20230929_211853.jpg
battery_20230929_211853.jpg (156.96 KiB) Viewed 6740 times
after the image was taken I turned off the z6 with the power switch (it was in the off position)

today morning when I turned on the z6 the battery was at 87%
battery_20230930_082518.jpg
battery_20230930_082518.jpg (198.21 KiB) Viewed 6740 times
PapaBear

October 2nd, 2023, 10:18 pm

Dear Foolography,

Seeing the reaction of other users of the Unleashed, having the same battery draining issues, I have no hope left that this problem will be solved in the (near) future.
I am sorry to say that I see a pattern of Foolography focusing on the user error (wrong App setting), while it isn't a user error but an long-term problem in hardware/software for which a solution is repeatedly promised, but never is delivered. That is disappointing to experience, because it was promised in advertising and ads to always keep it onto the camera device without any battery drainage. The camera isn't designed by their respective manufacturers to pull out the camera battery to prevent battery drainage. By clicking an Unleashed device on the camera, it sure will drain the camera battery. This is confirmed by different users with different cameras. So it is not a single user or specific camera model which could cause this problem.

The only solution I see is by pulling out the battery to safe (and save) battery life.
I never would expect this when I bought the Unleashed to write this in a forum post. And I am not the only one, seeing the posts of others.

PapaBear out
Oliver

October 4th, 2023, 1:12 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the continued trouble.
The problem with this specific issue is that it's impossible to reproduce, debug and therefore find a fix.
Just so it's clear: Yes, we know of the problem, take it seriously and want to fix it! And yes, it's not just you. But it's also not as ubiquitous as you make it out to be - remember that we have shipped thousands of Unleashed N1's and N2's and I personally use the Unleashed N2 on a Z7II camera, all the time! Yet, only a handful of customers complain to us about this issue, and while do notice it sometimes, it's very seldom, and we have yet to find a reproducible method of getting this issue.

So when I ask questions about how you are storing your camera, what settings you're using and such, I'm not trying to shift blame on you the user! I'm really asking to be able to find a way of reproducing the problem, so that we can go about fixing it! Of course we're also trying to eliminate other possible causes besides a bug in our firmware!

One of the problems that makes this specific issue so difficult to work on, is that while we're connected to our debug Unleasheds, they cannot really go into the deep-sleep modes where they turn off entirely, otherwise we will lose debug output. And when we do manage, and think we noticed the camera waking up, we can never be sure whether it wasn't our debug connections that woke it up instead.

We have made several bugfixes that we hoped would solve this issue - usually when we're working on something else, and come across something in our code that looks like it might wake up the Unleashed inadvertently when the camera is still off. If we then fix that, we add something to our changelog that we addressed the power drain issue. It doesn't mean that we "finally found and fixed the issue for good".

We're still on it. The issue is not closed, but just very difficult to make progress on, given how seldom it shows itself.
PapaBear

October 6th, 2023, 10:20 pm

Dear Foolography,

This is exactly what user 'hubaiz' is showing and saying. Sometimes the draining is slow. Sometimes the draining is fast. There is no telling/knowing what will happen next time when you haven't used the camera for a while (hours/days/weeks/months): you will grab your camera from the drawer/cabinet with a drained battery. And then the user has no time to charge the battery for that moment. Precious photo moments down the drain. Sometimes a one in a lifetime moment. Therefore I now most of the times pull out the battery just to prevent such use cases.

Can't you set up an endurance test like a DUT (Device Under Test) to measure any hiccups in both GPS port activity, USB port activity and battery port activity? In that sense you can see over a long period of time if there is a pattern in battery use and by what activity that is caused? Like those seismograms, you can see when it occurs and if it repeats in a repetitive timeframe. That could set of some triggerpoints for the developers to investigate. Maybe this will help finding the real cause of the problems. What I mean to say is: do not always depend on the logging, debugging, code analysis, functional design for your feedback in such cases. Sometimes other ways of collecting information (USB-port, GPS-port and Battery-port activity can give you clues on what is going on).

Having said that, I sure hoped version 3.0.0 would have solved the problem once and for all. Too bad, it didn't yet. I hope your team will find it soon.

PapaBear out
PapaBear

October 10th, 2023, 1:23 am

Dear Foolography,

Today I discovered a tremendous draining of the battery in just 2 days. The only thing I did in these two days was turning the camera on and off, just to see if there was a difference in battery level.
It was. It went from full to 50% in just two days.

I hope you find a fix soon!!!!

PapaBear out
PapaBear

October 13th, 2023, 1:26 pm

Dear Foolography,

I have monitored the draining and found out that the average draining until depletion of the battery takes about 1,5-2 weeks when not in use.
Of course, when not in use and with the Unleashed removed from the camera body, the battery does not drain at all in this rapid pace.

PapaBear out