Battery draining not solved with new firmware update!

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
hubaiz

November 6th, 2023, 8:50 am

I still get battery drain with latest firmware on my Z6.
From 2023.11.04 22:33 till 2023.11.06 08:40 the battery went from 51% to 17%.
During this time the camera was turned off.
Attachments
battery_20231106_084053.jpg
battery_20231106_084053.jpg (177.89 KiB) Viewed 6733 times
battery_20231104_223310.jpg
battery_20231104_223310.jpg (209.33 KiB) Viewed 6733 times
hubaiz

November 29th, 2023, 10:00 pm

Tested the new firmware:
A3.1.2
B 3.1.2
C 3.1.0
the battery draining is still not solved.
at 13:40 Z6 battery was at 92%
at 21:52 Z6 battery was at 82%
The camera was turned off and Unleashed was still pluged in during that ~8h.
PapaBear

November 29th, 2023, 11:11 pm

hubaiz wrote:
November 29th, 2023, 10:00 pm
Tested the new firmware:
A3.1.2
B 3.1.2
C 3.1.0
the battery draining is still not solved.
at 13:40 Z6 battery was at 92%
at 21:52 Z6 battery was at 82%
The camera was turned off and Unleashed was still pluged in during that ~8h.
Hubaiz,
It is not going to be solved ever! That is what I believe.

PapaBear out
Tassos

December 14th, 2023, 10:44 am

Hello, I'm experiencing the same issue. The battery in my Nikon Z6 is also depleting quickly. Therefore, it's important to remember to unplug it!
However, it's important to remember that unplugging the Unleashed N2 actually goes against its designed purpose. The device is meant to be always connected, ensuring your camera is ready at all times.

Interestingly, my device is not working anymore since its last firmware update but it's still draining battery!
birnaofthenorth

December 14th, 2023, 9:17 pm

If there is any consolation, my Zf and Zfc, both using the 22'M with the latest firmware, still show the *rapid* battery drain issue. The battery can go flat within a few hours.

Neither do the features advertised work. So for me the Unleashed 22 is a dead project. I accept my money have been wasted.
PapaBear

December 20th, 2023, 7:26 pm

[edit by Oliver: originally a reply to viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2010 ]

Hi Keltyinnty,

I have the same draining issue with the '18 version of the Unleashed, and after 5 years, almost 6 years (2024-2018=6) there is STILL NO FIX for the draining issue, which to me is reason enough to refund to all the customers the money they have spent on supporting Foolography on Kickstarter and other funding campaigning websites. This leaves the users and supporters of the Unleashed quite out in the cold. I find it heartless to not come up with a plan that either solves the problem technically, or solves it financially. Why would you buy a product that was advertised as to stay on the camera for always and not consume energy, both when the camera is off and on?

To Keltyinnty I would advise to pull out the battery each time you do not use the camera for a longer time. And insert the camera back in when you are about to use the camera, so you have a GPS lock before you start shooting pictures. That is how I now do it already for YEARS, while still waiting for a final solution from Foolography...

To Foolography I would advise them to really get to the bottom of this draining issue, because this will cause in the near future that you will get more and more customers complaining until they are all fed up with it and start suing you with lawsuits, because you have sold them something you have not accomplished what you did promise in your promotional campaigns. To legal advisors and lawyers this is an easy lawsuit to win, because you have neglected your customers for YEARS not fixing the issues of the battery draining. It is time you really get to the bottom of this problem and root it out for good, because you don't want a group of customers collectively suing your ass in court. That would give you a really big problem when you have to refund to all those customers who have a right to claim what is not delivered by Foolography but was claimed, promised, promoted and advertised by Foolography in the first place. That would be the end of Foolography financially.

I hope you men and women at Foolography see the seriousness of all the complains you are receiving concerning the battery draining issue, because it is going on for years now. And that is technically, commercially and legally unacceptable!

PapaBear out
Oliver

December 23rd, 2023, 3:39 pm

@PapaBear
As I have written in your other threads: we're aware that some users are experiencing significant battery drain, but thousands of others are not. We cannot reproduce the problem, so it's impossible to work on. If you can offer any observation other than the fact that the battery is drained, that would be really helpful.
If you look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1916
You'll see an example of battery drain that we were able to fix: the Camera shutting down would disconnect USB from the Unleashed, but not yet power it down, and when the Unleashed would try to reactivate USB, the camera would wake up from that, but power cycle the Unleashed, causing a very serious battery drain. Because we had the observation of the LED blinking on the camera, we were able to run tests and could find the cause and implement a solution.
The N2 works completely different, and expects to be powered all the time, but it can get woken by camera activity, and will promptly try to establish a USB connection.
My best guess is that something, such as a connection to the snapbridge app, is waking up the camera despite being turned off, and this triggering a reconnection loop of camera and Unleashed taking turns waking each other up.

My suggestion is that you start with a factory reset of your Unleashed: Menu -> Unleashed with Gear icon -> Your Unleashed -> Settings -> Factory reset (at the bottom). And if you can, also factory reset your camera.
You can do tests without the USB cable, as this eliminates one variable, then some more tests with the cable. If these go well, you can start changing your settings on the camera again, and maybe you'll find the setting that's the cause of the drain!
I understand that it might not feel that way to you, but we're very serious about finding and fixing all bugs! Our plates are very full at the moment, so we have to prioritise the problems that are fixable! This issue has reached the top of the priority list several times, and we have taken many stabs at it. Several times it showed significant improvements, but for some users the issue persists.

There is also a chance that either the Camera port or the Unleashed's plug has a loose contact. We rely on information from 8 of the 10 pins of the Accessory terminal, so either one of them having a less than stable connection could cause the Unleashed to keep waking up and getting into a loop that will draining the camera battery. We have a long-term ticket that would help us diagnose such issues in the future, but it's a whole system that we'd need to implement in both firmware, bluetooth API, app and a web api that would allow getting information like that all the way to us to be able to analyse it. Unfortunately, it's nowhere near the top of our priority list.

So, again, if you can send us any observations that might indicate a cause of the battery drain, that would be a lot more helpful than the observation of what the result is (battery percentage reduced within X hours).
You can also check the Unleashed settings, try out different Deep sleep modes to see if you can find one that works better for you!

I think I will post this answer here, but will then move your post and my answer into your thread about battery drain - it has gotten a little out of hand, and doesn't actually fit into this topic at all.
-> OK moved it here.

Happy Holidays!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Oliver

December 23rd, 2023, 3:43 pm

One more note: We know a few cases where Nikon cameras do "wake up" even while the camera is switched off, for example when the Lens is changed or the SD card is removed or added. To the Unleashed these wakeups are indistinguishable from the camera being turned on, so we make educated guesses about these states depending on how our attempts of communicating with the camera after such a wake up go.
But there might be more cases that we do not know about because we haven't observed them. The goal would be to try to find those!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.