Unleashed not connecting after Firmware update [solved - defective hardware]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
jonsadrgilany

December 16th, 2023, 5:06 pm

Oliver wrote:
December 15th, 2023, 9:39 pm
Hi guys,
Sorry for my absence in the last 2 weeks. I was on a trip for a few days, and have been catching up in the last 10 days, just haven't gotten around to the Forums until today!
I know it feels like we're ignoring "all our customers", but I assure you that's not the case - we were just too busy with another set of customers and a different set of problems.

Also, we are now confident of which things we still can or can no longer fix in Firmware updates, so we have started shipping replacement Unleasheds to those customers that have the unfixable issues. I had asked my colleague to do so, but it seems your cases were not yet among those. @strongbad and @gazt, you'll get replacements soon.

@Tassos, could you please do a test without the USB cable attached to the Unleashed? This eliminates all possible issues with the USB cable, and we can take it from there. Please be sure that no second phone/tablet might be "stealing" the connection before your main phone has a chance to find the Unleashed. Yes, the LED should be shining turquoise if a device is connected, but there are cases where the LED will turn off after connection (eg if the USB cable is plugged in the wrong way round.
Hello Oliver,

I am also at the stage where I believe I need a replacement unit. I've followed all of your troubleshooting instructions with my Sony A7RV (including the method without the USB cable), and although my Unleashed shows a turquoise light and is 'connected', none of the operational functions are available and the device is entirely unusable.

My order number is #44751.

Please respond with a confirmation so I can have an idea of when to expect a solution.

Thank you.
Tassos

December 20th, 2023, 10:47 am

Hi Oliver,

I appreciate your feedback.

As per your suggestion, I conducted the test by disconnecting the USB cable from the Unleashed and ensuring that no other devices were nearby that could interfere with the connection.
Unfortunately, the device was not discoverable by my phone, nor the APP during this process. The LED indicator did not show the turquoise light, which I understand signifies a successful connection.

This leads me to believe that the issue may not be related to the USB cable or interference from other devices.
I can reconfirm that the port on my Nikon z6 is up and running with Nikon's WR-R10 remote adapter.

I am eager to hear any additional advice or steps you might suggest to resolve this matter.

Thank you for your ongoing support and assistance.
Oliver

December 23rd, 2023, 2:42 pm

@gazt, @strongbad, @tassos - we sent replacements to you yesterday. We hope you'll get them soon!

@jonsadrgilany - I'll reply in your other threads, your problem is entirely different from the others here.

Happy Holidays!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
jonsadrgilany

December 23rd, 2023, 5:07 pm

Oliver wrote:
December 23rd, 2023, 2:42 pm
@gazt, @strongbad, @tassos - we sent replacements to you yesterday. We hope you'll get them soon!

@jonsadrgilany - I'll reply in your other threads, your problem is entirely different from the others here.

Happy Holidays!

When can I expect a reply!? My latest thread is now missing from the forum, and my device still does not work!

I have followed all of your instructions for setup, and checked the settings multiple times.

I have updated to the latest firmware (A 3.2.0, B 3.2.0, C3.1.0)

I have waited for months, and this device is still utterly useless. I'd like you to troubleshoot this matter with me directly. I'd like a replacement to a working device. Or I'd like a full refund.
gazt

December 28th, 2023, 8:57 am

Hello Oliver! Thank you for your response.

I understand the situation and appreciate it greatly as I realize it involves both extra costs and extra inconvenience at your end.

Would you like me to return the older unit so that you can troubleshoot it and see if you can identify and fix the issue for the future?

Kindest regards
Oliver

December 28th, 2023, 11:07 am

No problem at all - thank you for your patience!
You can not imagine the number of (sometimes very creative) possibilities of user error we have come across in the last few years! That in combination with all the new possibilities for bugs when releasing a new product makes it very likely that what seems like an obvious defect to some users is actually just a remotely solvable problem.

Under normal circumstances we would come to a solution quicker, sorry that it took so long.

While it would be good to troubleshoot the unit here, international returns shipping is often costly - not just the postage, but customs duties and handling costs on re-import into Germany, so for a definitely defective device it is not worth it. We already have our suspicions of the cause, and aren't really able to do any further tests in such a case anyway. But thank you for offering to send it back

I hope you get your Unleashed soon, and wish you a lot of fun with it in the new Year!
Tassos

January 13th, 2024, 12:42 pm

Hi Oliver,

a belated Happy New Year.

Thank you for your support and replacement!
I just received it 2 days ago as it was stuck at customs.

I tested it and it works :-)
Also, I updated to the newest FW: A 3.2.1 - B 3.2.1 - C 3.1.0 and it still works :-)

Now looking forward taking my first pictures with it.
Oliver

January 15th, 2024, 11:29 am

That's great to hear! Sorry again for the rough start - but now enjoy your Unleashed!
strongbad

January 16th, 2024, 4:27 pm

I received my replacement device and it works perfectly. Updated the firmware and it still works fine. Relieved to finally put this behind me.