Unleashed not connecting after Firmware update [solved - defective hardware]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
gazt

September 30th, 2023, 8:11 am

Hello all!

Unfortunately I get the same problem. Got the new unleashed 22 yesterday, plugged it in and paired it without trouble, updated the firmware. Thereafter it was paired, but had no contact with the app, so I tried to disconnect the unit. After that I got exactly the same issues Michael. Orange in the inner light and red in the outer. The app can not find it and pair. I have also deleted the app and tried to reinstall. The same.

Any suggestions for next steps?

Look forward to our reply and wish you a great weekend
/Gus
Oliver

October 4th, 2023, 12:33 pm

Hi, I split the topic, because a lot of things have changed since 2021 and it's better to start a new topic.

There are two possible scenarios for what you're describing:
a) the Unleashed is still in firmware update mode, if the LED is a constant or blinking (on/off/on/off) deep red.
b) the Unleashed is in normal operation, but not connected, if the LED is a yellowish/orange/red, slowly pulsing.

a) is most likely to occur when the firmware update fails mid-way, most typically because while updating the Unleashed M, you have to keep the camera awake by half-pressing the shutterbutton of the camera, during the update, either continuously or every few seconds. Otherwise, the Unleashed looses power during the update and it won't complete. We do have a notice in the app about this, but it's often overlooked.

b) would be the desired outcome of a firmware update. However, now it should be visible and connectable in the app.

If you can't:
Please be sure that you don't have the Unleashed paired in your phone's system preferences. You only need to pair it in the Unleashed app.
Delete the Unleashed app, reinstall it (be sure to give it all the permissions it asks for - especially Location, even if you don't plan on using Geotagging. Because in theory it's possible to calculate a position by searching for Bluetooth devices in the vicinity, Android requires location permissions to be able to scan for Unleasheds via Bluetooth!

Remove the camera battery and reinsert it to properly restart the Unleashed, just to be sure.

If you can, please check with another smartphone/tablet if you can see the Unleashed.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
gazt

October 9th, 2023, 8:26 pm

Hello Oliver,

thank you for your prompt respond, much appreciated!

The unleashed it not paired to my phone (tried it with the phone off on my iPad). The unit is blinking red in the "outer circle" and red in the inner. It have all the permissions but it will not pair and it is not seen by other units.

Any suggestions for how to proceed?

Kindest regards
/G
Oliver

October 10th, 2023, 9:01 am

That's very odd indeed!
The color you're seeing is supposed to be yellow, but the position of the individual leds in the RGB LED makes the outer circle redder, as the colours don't mix as well as they should.

Yellow is the color of normal operation, when it is ready to be connected to.

Could you check if you can see the device with another app? go to the AppStore and find "nRF Connect" (it's a Bluetooth Low Energy development app), and scan for devices. if you can see an Unleashed or Unleashed 22, or possibly an Entagged, that would already be a good sign. Send us a screenshot of what you see.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
gazt

October 10th, 2023, 9:08 pm

Hi Oliver!

Thank you for the quick response!

I downloaded nRF connect, but unfortunately neither Unleashed, Unleashed 2 or Entagged shows up :/ Nothing new shows up when I connect the unleashed to the camera and turn it on. What can I try now?

/G
gazt

October 18th, 2023, 12:51 pm

Bump
strongbad

October 26th, 2023, 3:28 am

I am having this same issue. I have also tried all of the troubleshooting above.

From the time of plugging my Unleashed in to the time of the slow yellow/orange pulse mixed with a red blink it was less than 1 hour. I took 1 photo in that time.

I have also done all of the troubleshooting steps and have logged a support ticket that includes this information:

My unleashed arrived today, but has not been functional. When it arrived the Unleashed was insecure within its packaging, but I don't know if that makes any difference with what follows.

At first I was able to install the Unleashed on my camera and connect it to my phone, but I had limited functionality - for instance I was unable to view any previews or thumbnails. Nevertheless, all of the Bluetooth syncing process worked just fine.

In order to troubleshoot, I turned the camera off, unhooked everything and carefully plugged in the Unleashed and the USB cable according to the directions (Unleashed end of the cable pointing forward and the camera end of the cable pointing upward). I made sure the connections were solid, but was careful with the amount of pressure used in plugging everything back in.

I was able to communicate with the Unleashed device, but there were still things that were not working. When I checked around in the settings on the Unleashed App I saw that a firmware update was possible, and so I began the process of installing it. It took less than a minute to install, and though there were a few times when it seemed to pause for a moment, ultimately it installed and everything looked good. It updated from 2-- to 3-- (I don't recall the specific numbers).

After the update I noticed that more settings seemed to be working. I was able to change a GPS setting and was trying to get photo previews to work, but was still unsuccessful.

At this point I was confused and decided to set the camera down for 30 minutes in order to watch some instructional videos and do some research. When I returned to the camera the light on the front of the Unleashed was slowly blinking red, and I was no longer able to connect to the Unleashed through the app.

At this time I also noticed that I was unable to use the menu on my camera for more than a second or two before the camera screen turned off. No matter what I tried to do the camera screen just kept shutting off.

I did further research in the forums and tried a number of troubleshooting steps.

1. I unplugged the unleashed for 30 seconds and plugged it back in.
2. I removed the USB cable from the camera and tried connecting without the cable
3. I unpaired the Unleashed from within the App. I uninstalled the app, then reinstalled the app and tried to pair the device again. But the light was still blinking red and the app did not see the device.
4. I downloaded nRF Connect, but do not see any trace of an Unleashed Bluetooth signal.

The Unleashed is doing a slow pulse of yellow and orange, and then a moment later it does a red blink. This pattern repeats indefinitely.
gazt

November 2nd, 2023, 1:09 pm

Thank you strongbad for an excellent explanation. It seems like we both have exactly the same problem. I’m using a Nikon D7000, What Camera have you tried it with? Have you managed to get it to work?

If not, any new ideas we can try, or an post adress to send a return for further investigation Oliver, or have you given up on this?
strongbad

November 2nd, 2023, 1:54 pm

I'm using a D7200, and I seem to have tried everything. I did not mention in my previous reply that removing the battery from the camera does not appear to help.
gazt

November 7th, 2023, 8:24 pm

Dear Oliver,

Thank you for your assistance. Both strongbad and I have tried out your suggestions, but unfortunately, without success. We are wondering how to proceed from here. I'm thinking that we either try again with more instructions from you, or we may have to return the devices and have them replaced with verified units. It seems unlikely that two users with the same Nikonspecific device would encounter the exact same issue.

We have been patient and used the communication channel you provided and asked us to use. We understand that you guys and gals are busy, but I have also noticed that you respond to other threads but not ours, as if you are ghosting us. Have you given up on this problem?