Unleashed '22 M doesn't work with Z fc

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
LuPeng

October 20th, 2023, 4:06 pm

birnaofthenorth wrote:
October 15th, 2023, 5:32 pm
You did nothing wrong, but relied on information that later has proven incorrect and misleading . The 22M cannot geotag with Z50, or in my case, Z fc or Zf.

If your main purpose is geotagging with the Z50, use the free Snapbridge app instead.and use it only for getting location data.

I'm also disappointed.. A real waste of money at this stage, unless the issue is solved.
Same here with my Z fc. I can reproduce everything you described with my camera.
And I'm also disappointed: Before ordering I had extra still looked through the compatibility list. GPS tagging is the real reason why I supported the project. I think I will send the device back.
tlcoulter

October 26th, 2023, 1:19 am

I too am very disappointed with the performance of Unleashed '22 on my Zfc. I don't know if a setting is wrong somewhere, but the only variables I can control with the app are F-Stop, WB, Quality, Drive Mode, and Metering. The Mode, Shutter Speed and Focus respond with "Read Only". The ISO and EV Comp variables do not do anything; no response. Could this be caused by a setting on the camera?

I got the Unleashed '22 for my D850 also, and it seems to be performing correctly. The only think I have noticed is that the back LED screen flashes when I change one of the variables. I have not yet noticed a significant advantage of the Unleashed '22 over the prior version.
Oliver

October 27th, 2023, 1:42 am

So, we found and fixed the issue that drained the battery. It turns out that it was a bug/weird behaviour in Nikons firmware! It turns out that even if the camera is off, it allows a USB connection to be established, even a session to be opened, and the capabilities of the camera, but every command after that, returned empty data (even if data was required for a command), as well as an error. This would in turn put the Unleashed into an error state, reset itself, and restart USB communication. This would then keep the camera partially awake - awake enough to output power to the Unleashed... This all resulted in an endless loop of Unleashed resetting and camera staying partially awake.
We found an elegant solution and have implemented it - it will be released in the next firmware update, possibly as early as tomorrow.

We'll work on geotagging next.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Oliver

October 27th, 2023, 2:00 am

> The Mode, Shutter Speed and Focus respond with "Read Only". The ISO and EV Comp variables do not do anything; no response. Could this be caused by a setting on the camera?

If you read the error message, it should give you a reason of why a setting is read-only. In most cases, it's a hardware dial that the Unleashed of course won't be able to turn ;-) Most cameras, including the Z fc have a hardware dial or switch to set the Mode. So the App shows the current mode, but you won't be able to change it from the app. The fully automatic modes need control over some settings, such as Shutter speed, ISO and other settings. Try changing the Mode to M, and see how many settings will now be writeable.

The big changes from the Unleashed 18 to 22 on Nikon cameras are:
- Gallery & sharing of images
- High resolution Image review
- Exposure Bracketing
- Focus Bracketing
- Flexible Interval, External interval
- Synchronisation with Motion controllers via Bluetooth.
tlcoulter

October 28th, 2023, 4:35 pm

Oliver wrote:
> The Mode, Shutter Speed and Focus respond with "Read Only". The ISO and EV Comp variables do not do anything; no response. Could this be caused by a setting on the camera?

If you read the error message, it should give you a reason of why a setting is read-only. In most cases, it's a hardware dial that the Unleashed of course won't be able to turn ;-) Most cameras, including the Z fc have a hardware dial or switch to set the Mode. So the App shows the current mode, but you won't be able to change it from the app. The fully automatic modes need control over some settings, such as Shutter speed, ISO and other settings. Try changing the Mode to M, and see how many settings will now be writeable.

- Exposure Bracketing
- Focus Bracketing
In Manual mode Shutter Speed is greyed out, ISO changes on the app but not on the camera, EV Comp changes on the app but not on the camera, and Focus is greyed out. Other functions work. Disappointing!
Oliver

October 29th, 2023, 1:08 am

Sorry you're disappointed.
I'd like to help, but need more information than "it's greyed out". Could you send some screenshots? or ideally screen recordings?
If you read the error message, it should give you a reason of why a setting is read-only (medium grey) or not available (dark grey)

Could it be that you have the camera in Movie mode? Nikon has separate shutterspeed, ISO and other settings for Movie mode, which we don't yet relay to the camera.
LuPeng

November 1st, 2023, 4:43 pm

tlcoulter wrote:
October 28th, 2023, 4:35 pm
Oliver wrote:

- Exposure Bracketing
- Focus Bracketing
In Manual mode Shutter Speed is greyed out, ISO changes on the app but not on the camera, EV Comp changes on the app but not on the camera, and Focus is greyed out. Other functions work. Disappointing!

Every function for which there is a dial (hardware) (ISO, shutter speed, EV comp.) cannot be controlled via app due to the principle. That is the "disadvantage" of a retro camera. IMHO this is not a problem of the Unleashed.
Oliver

November 1st, 2023, 8:50 pm

I believe you can set the hardware dials to a value where the setting can then be controlled via the command dials. In this case, the Unleashed will also be able to change the setting.
Shutterspeed dial should be set to "1/3 STEP" and Exposure Compensation to "C", I could not find any info about a ISO value or maybe a menu item that would allow you to use the command dials to change ISO instead of the dedicated hardware dial. But maybe I overlooked something.

Here are two links for Shutterspeed and Exposure compensation:
https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/zf ... #06-01_010

https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/zfc/en/06-03.html
"Setting through means other than the exposure compensation dial
If you set the exposure compensation dial to [C], you can adjust the exposure compensation through other means as follows..."

I hope this helps!
Oliver

November 1st, 2023, 10:12 pm

Firmware update 3.0.2 is released which (amongst other things) fixes the power draining loop on the Unleashed M with Nikons that are turned off.

We're making headway with Geotagging, but didn't want to put off the release of this firmware until we're done. That will come in the next update.
birnaofthenorth

November 2nd, 2023, 9:48 am

Updated my Unleashed app to 3.02. No deal. The drive light of my Z fc blinks merrily as before, as soon as the camera is switched off. It stays that way until the battery is completely drained and the camera dies.