"mode not available" on app [solved with FW3.0.2]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
zkazekage

November 9th, 2023, 6:14 pm

Hi Oliver,

I just did the update to A 3.0.2 , B 3.0.2 , C 3.0.0

and i'm getting the same issue where the error states "USB is not working. Check USB connection, magnetic plug." and to disable the WiFi.

The workaround you suggested previously does not seem to work anymore as well.

Sometimes while trying the workaround, the unleashed would be stuck in "initialisation" too.
zkazekage

November 10th, 2023, 5:15 am

Hi Oliver,

I tried a few more times today and somehow it worked.

Thanks.
Oliver

November 10th, 2023, 10:50 am

That's great to hear, did you make any changes in your camera menu, or was it just random that it started working?

Enjoy your Unleashed!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
zkazekage

November 18th, 2023, 2:29 pm

Hi Oliver,

I just tried the unleashed once more on location and unfortunately it did not work. it was connected but once again all functions were greyed out. I guess i should have tried it out a few more times when it randomly worked the other time i posted (I did not do anything to the camera).

Strange thing is, now in the hotel, i'm trying to update the firmware, and it keeps disconnecting halfway while the update is ongoing. even with the half pressed trigger.

very unfortunate experience so far.
zkazekage

November 18th, 2023, 2:49 pm

After some fiddling for awhile, finally got the update done. still had issues with the greyed out options but i found did the following and it worked:

1) after connecting it to the camera and getting greyed out options in the app, i need to unplug the unleashed while leaving the hdmi connected
2) turn off the camera and wait awhile until the camera shuts off and the unleashed turns off and the app shows its disconnected.
3) leave the unleash disconnected and turn on the camera, wait for a short while and plug the unleash back

now it seems to be working ok without any of the above steps. but i noticed that if i turn off the connection slider in the app beside my paired unleash in the "your unleasheds" screen. it takes a while longer to get the unleashed paired.

will try out more. going out again tomorrow, hopefully it works.
namabiiru

December 5th, 2023, 7:13 am

Thank you @zkazekage for your guide. It finally worked for me after getting greyed out (following the founders suggestions on page 1). I'm also on the latest firmware 2.01 for a7R V and the current version for Unleashed (A 3.1.2 B 3.1.2 C 3.1.0). I wish the reliability of the connection can be improved in the next firmware update.
zkazekage wrote:
November 18th, 2023, 2:49 pm
After some fiddling for awhile, finally got the update done. still had issues with the greyed out options but i found did the following and it worked:

1) after connecting it to the camera and getting greyed out options in the app, i need to unplug the unleashed while leaving the hdmi connected
2) turn off the camera and wait awhile until the camera shuts off and the unleashed turns off and the app shows its disconnected.
3) leave the unleash disconnected and turn on the camera, wait for a short while and plug the unleash back

now it seems to be working ok without any of the above steps. but i noticed that if i turn off the connection slider in the app beside my paired unleash in the "your unleasheds" screen. it takes a while longer to get the unleashed paired.

will try out more. going out again tomorrow, hopefully it works.
Oliver

December 22nd, 2023, 1:39 pm

Hmm, this is really odd, and definitely should not be the case!
I'm not 100% I understand what the remaining issue is, or which part of your solution is what causes it to work in the end.
Could you please specify what your issue is, and send us screen recordings or a video of
A) how it does not work normally
B) how you make it work

One thing that we have done to improve this kind of a problem on modern Canon R series cameras and also Panasonic, is that we added a delay from when the Unleashed is powered on (when you turn on the camera)
until we start trying to communicate with the camera via USB.
Together with a customer we figured out that the Cameras were sometimes not ready for USB communication so quickly, and this was made much worse with large memory cards. The customer had a 512GB CF Express card and a a 128GB SDCard in his camera, and basically always saw this problem, whereas we never had the issue during our testing, because we usually work with 64GB cards...
This delay was added in Firmware 3.0.2, so it really should have been fixed with this.

If you still get the same symptoms, please try the following and let us now if this fixes it, then we'll need to increase the delay:
- Turn your camera off and wait for the Unleashed to lose power (and disconnect from the app)
- Leave the HDMI cable plugged in, but disconnect the magnetic plug
- Turn on the camera, wait 3-4 seconds, then snap the Unleashed onto the magnetic plug.

If this always works, and having it connected from the start doesn't, then we need to increase our waiting delay.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.