Unleashed not working with Canon R7 [solved with FW 3.0.2]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
croimans

October 20th, 2023, 7:44 pm

hi,

Received the Unleashed today.
Canon R7 to latest official firmware,
Play store for Android installed 3.0.3 app version,
Unleashed updated to latest in the app.

The unleashed is connected very fast, but all options are greyed out, and keeps saying unleashed is initinalizing.
How long we wait doesn't matter, it doesn't work with the R7.

The only thing we notice is when changing usb mode, , we get notification in app to change usb mode. so we know we are in correct usb mode,
only 2 modes applicable in camera settings.

wifi and bluetooth in camera are also disabled.

Hope there comes an update so we can use it, we also send log report in the android app.
Oliver

October 23rd, 2023, 3:45 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the trouble.

Could you post a screenshot where we can see the errormessage? We have two different "Initialising" errors, one comes from the Android app, and one from the firmware.
Did you install the firmware update? We published another one (3.0.1) on Thursday!
Whenever there's a Firmware update available, you'll see a red notification badge on the menu icon in the bottom left corner of the app. Follow this notification badge through the app to get to the firmware update screen.
App menu (bottom left) → Unleashed with gear icon (bottom left) → tap on your Unleashed (near top ) → tap "Firmware"
Scroll down and tap "Install Update". With the Unleashed M, you need to keep the camera awake, so that the Unleashed stays powered during the entire update. To keep the camera from entering standby, half-press the cameras's shutterbutton continuously or regularly until the update is done. This only takes a little over a minute.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
croimans

October 23rd, 2023, 4:36 pm

Offcourse last firmware update on Unleashed and on camera, is first thing I look for and also posted in start post that every thing is latest versions and up to date

Connecting is not the problem, it connects with app,
But all settings of camera stays greyed out,
When tapping on it, het notification :
Still initializing but how long you wait, never gonna work
Last edited by croimans on October 30th, 2023, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
croimans

October 23rd, 2023, 4:45 pm

Some screenshots just taken
Attachments
Screenshot_20231023-164203298.jpg
Screenshot_20231023-164203298.jpg (88.86 KiB) Viewed 843 times
Screenshot_20231023-164225597.jpg
Screenshot_20231023-164225597.jpg (132.9 KiB) Viewed 843 times
Screenshot_20231023-164242615.jpg
Screenshot_20231023-164242615.jpg (90.04 KiB) Viewed 843 times
croimans

October 23rd, 2023, 4:51 pm

What I just noticed is that camera hangs when shutting off camera and I need to pull the battery out to get camera turned off with Unleashed inserted.
bglana

October 23rd, 2023, 5:19 pm

I have almost the same issues as already reported. I did the firmware update to th newest one but still not working.

I'm using an iPhone with iOS 17.0.3 and unleashed app version 3.0.1.

There are only 2 options in the camera for the USB mode. One is saying for a) PC and the other one is saying for b) Canon apps.
Changing this settings to a or b doesn't really help.

GPS not working is another issue.
Oliver

October 23rd, 2023, 11:57 pm

Ok, so today we found one possible cause for this issue, and a reason why we have not encountered it before. A customer with this same issue on his R5, who lives close to our office came by with his camera, and we were able to reproduce the issue. We tried a new USB connector, different Unleashed, his Unleashed on another camera, changed lenses, tried with original batteries, and anything else we could think of.
In the end, we found the culprit:
The customer was using a huge 512GB CFExpress card!
When that card was plugged in, we got the "Unleashed is initialising" error, and any other card would not show this error. It turns out that with such a card, the camera needs a bit more time to initialise when turning it on, and if we try to establish a USB connection in that time, it doesn't only fail, but seems to get the camera's USB stack into an error state, so that all retries will fail too. We found a simple workaround: adding a small delay before attempting to establish a USB connection solves the problem. We need to do some more tests to find the best delay time, and make sure this does not impede any other functionality. We will then push a firmware update with this fix - certainly by the end of this week.

Until then, you can all test with smaller memory cards (or even without any card inserted) to confirm that this solves the problem for you too. Let us know either way.
croimans

October 24th, 2023, 12:04 pm

I changed lenses also, but no workaround, the memory card we use a 256gb and not 512gb.
Will try another smaller version and report back
bglana

October 24th, 2023, 1:02 pm

Please note that the R7 has 2 card slots and I'm using both with 2 different types (speed) of 256GB cards.

I just did a test with a 32 GB card but no luck so far. Still got an error message(s)
Mittel (IMG_48252DB1E675-1).jpeg
Mittel (IMG_48252DB1E675-1).jpeg (24.13 KiB) Viewed 788 times
Oliver

October 24th, 2023, 2:07 pm

@croimans: just try it without any SD card, so we can confirm that your seeing the same issue for the same reason that we found.

@bglana : your problem is a very different one - on newer Canons, the only way we could achieve geotagging was via Bluetooth. The problem is that for some, unknown reason, canon does not allow controlling the camera via USB while also being connected via Bluetooth! that means you have to choose between controlling the settings of the camera, and geotagging.
I'll admit, probably 80% of the time that you might want to be geotagging, you'll have your phone in your pocket, and are walking around taking photos with the camera in your hand. And here, it's no loss, that settings don't work. However, in those 20%, where you do want to take a selfie, or have the camera on a tripod, for Landscape, long exposure or any other tripod photography, it's a huge shame. We haven't given up entirely, and are still searching for ways around these limitations, but unfortunately, for now the cameras are limiting what we can do...
In other words: disable geotagging, and you'll have access to the settings again. then enable geotagging again to take photos... 🤷‍♂️