No geotagging with Panasonic G9 - specs say geotagging with "some limitations"

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
bjn2

October 20th, 2023, 9:14 pm

Geotagging from the app is the big reason I backed Unleashed 2 for use with my Lumix G9. I already have an '18 version that works well with my Nikon Z6. With the G9 and my Unleashed M, the app shows a grayed-out GPS icon with the "i" GPS Mode is not available. This camera doesn't have this feature. The specs say that geotagging is supported, but there's a footnote to the effect of, "3 Supported - with some limitations" for all Panasonic cameras. There's no explanation of the limitations, but having zero geotagging capability isn't my idea of "supported". The Lumix Link app provides geotagging via Bluetooth. With my Nikon body, the Foolography dongle and app work more reliably and seamlessly than other Nikon control apps I can use.

What exactly are the geotagging limitations for Panasonic cameras?
Oliver

October 23rd, 2023, 1:59 pm

Hi,

Please update your firmware. Whenever there's a Firmware update available, you'll see a red notification badge on the menu icon in the bottom left corner of the app. Follow this notification badge through the app to get to the firmware update screen.
App menu (bottom left) → Unleashed with gear icon (bottom left) → tap on your Unleashed (near top ) → tap "Firmware"
Scroll down and tap "Install Update". With the Unleashed M, you need to keep the camera awake, so that the Unleashed stays powered during the entire update. To keep the camera from entering standby, half-press the cameras's shutterbutton continuously or regularly until the update is done. This only takes a little over a minute.

We added quite a few features after the production, so it's important you do the update! I don't know of any reason that Geotagging would not be supported on the G9. It's not quite as nice as on your Nikon, but it works nonetheless.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.