Shutter speed doesn’t go higher than 1sec on Gh5 [solved with FW A3.1.1)

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Oliver

October 29th, 2023, 12:19 pm

No, no, don't worry, it's definitely not your Unleashed. If there's a defect in an Unleashed, nothing will work at all - ie you wouldn't see a single setting in the app. This is definitely something that sounds like a problem we can fix in a firmware update.
Like we said in the last update: We did a lot of testing, but can't ever test all the camera models with all possible combinations of settings you might have in your camera. So we'll investigate every reported issue, and try to find a solution for it.

Great that you have a Mac, that will give us a chance for a remote debugging session.
Is it an Intel Mac or already Apple Silicon (M1 or M2)?
Would you have time on Thursday or Friday? We still need some time to prepare things until then.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
skippy2008

October 29th, 2023, 12:25 pm

It’s a M2 Mac

Unfortunately, I won’t be available this week. I will be from next week anytime. Please note I’m currently in South Pacific, so my local time is UTC +11
Oliver

October 29th, 2023, 6:38 pm

Please do write your other issue here, it might well be related! When we go into debugging this issue, we might as well try to fix all issues for the GH5 and maybe other Panasonic cameras
skippy2008

October 30th, 2023, 3:52 am

In all the modes (single photo mode, timelapse mode, holy grail mode or video mode), when I set my aperture to 4.0, it’s ok, when I want to set f 3.5 (which the maximum aperture for my lens), I have a yellow triangle that show up and the aperture value shows f1, but on my camera it’s properly set to f3.5

Aperture set at F10, it’s ok, F8 it’s ok. When I set to F9, same yellow triangle and F1 sign (but my camera is at F9 properly), but within the app I still can go back to another f stop that works.

The values that cause this bug are F18, F13, F9, F6.3, F4.5 and F3.5. for each of this value, the camera is properly set. It’s just within the app that it cannot display properly. I have exactly the same problem in all the modes, with the exact same F values
Attachments
IMG_1717.png
IMG_1717.png (104.81 KiB) Viewed 791 times
Oliver

October 30th, 2023, 12:04 pm

OK, interesting. It does look like it might be related, though the result is very different.

Could you try this when your Exposure Mode is a simple "M" instead of the custom "C1"?

Could it be that you changed your exposure value stepsize to something other than 1/3 of a stop?
skippy2008

October 30th, 2023, 12:26 pm

Sorry for the C1 mode, but it doesn’t change anything. I noticed this issue when shooting a holy grail in the first place, so I was in M mode. And here again I tried another time in M mode and same result

And no, my exposure increments have always been by a 1/3 of a stop
skippy2008

November 6th, 2023, 8:41 pm

Hello Oliver

Still ok to set up a debugging session ?
Oliver

November 7th, 2023, 12:45 pm

Yes! I'll write you an email.
Oliver

November 9th, 2023, 5:26 pm

Thanks again for the debug session!
We got all the data we need, and found the issue! It's definitely a bug in the camera firmware, which on those values (shutterspeed >1s and the apertures you mentioned, F9, F6.3, etc), the camera suddenly tells us that the current value is "00000000". On the next aperture, it would then give us the correct values again...
We will contact Panasonic to let them know, and will probably fix this in a firmware update in the future. At least Panasonic is a company that frequently issues Firmware updates.

However, we also implemented a workaround for this, so we don't have to wait for Panasonic's fix. the mentioned bug only affects one type of packet, where we get all the Information from the camera for a setting (current value, permission and the list of settable values), but there's luckily a second type of packet where we just get the current value. We will now just ignore the buggy current value when we get those packets, and simply the previous current value, which will have been, or still will be set by the other (non-buggy) type of packet.

This fixes the issue for both the shutterspeeds over 1 second, as well as the apertures showing "/!\ 1"

We will probably publish a Firmware update with this fix by tomorrow.
skippy2008

November 9th, 2023, 7:53 pm

It’s very great news !! I’m a bit surprised nobody else experienced the same issues. I can’t imagine I’m the only Panasonic user :-)

Anyway, thank you for your quickness and I’m looking forward this next update !