Shutter speed doesn’t go higher than 1sec on Gh5 [solved with FW A3.1.1)

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
skippy2008

October 21st, 2023, 4:09 am

Hello everybody

I just installed and updated my unleashed 22. I tried a bunch of things to test it out and it turns out that in the manual mode on my camera, I can’t bring my shutter speed longer than 1sec. After that, the setting is greyed out and I have a message « shutter speed is not available. This camera doesn’t have this feature »

I bought this device especially not to have to touch my camera when doing long exposures to avoid blurriness.

Is somebody having the same issue ??
lkunl

October 21st, 2023, 6:59 pm

I think you should use machanic shutter on panasonic camera.
If it on electronic shutter it can not go longer than 1sec.
Some new model of Panasonic camera you can choose shutter type to auto it will automatic change to machanic shutter when shutter speed longer than 1sec.
skippy2008

October 21st, 2023, 9:45 pm

Thank you. You’re right about electronic/mechanic shutter. Unfortunately I’m always set on mechanical shutter. If I wasn’t, I shouldn’t be able to go higher than 1sec shutter speed. Actually, I can go higher when setting it on the camera itself but it’s within the app itself that I can’t go higher
Oliver

October 22nd, 2023, 1:19 am

That's really odd, and nothing we have seen before!

Just to clarify: do you mean the regular shutter speed? or our long Exposure setting?

Could you send us some screenshots, or better a screen recording? Are there no longer shutter speeds than 1s in the picker so you can't select any longer values, or can you select them but that doesn't get set in the camera?
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
skippy2008

October 22nd, 2023, 6:10 am

I tried to attach a video recording but the file was too big

here is a link to my dropbox so you can see it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/om45hojib6ecl ... O.mov?dl=0

As you can see, in single photo mode, I’m able to raise my shutter speed until 1sec, it reflects perfectly on my camera screen. I have the possibility on the app to go beyond 1sec but as soon as I do it, I can’t touch anymore the shutter speed setting. And as you see, as soon as I go back manually on my camera at a 1sec shutter speed, I can change them again on my app.

I don’t think I have any long shutter mode enabled or something else
Oliver

October 24th, 2023, 12:41 am

This is very interesting!

I did some more tests today with the Panasonic S1, and could not reproduce any such issue. I tried electronic vs mechanical, and tried every single shutterspeed, but none caused any issue like this.

Could you try to skip some of the values, to see if it's really caused by "anything over 1s" or is it just one (eg 1.3s) or a handful of settings. The "safest" ones should be 1s, 2s 4s 8s - could you try to skip to those directly from 1s? the App sends the value to the Unleashed when you let go of the picker, so you can roll it directly to lets say 4s, let go, and hopefully it won't cause the same issue you're seeing with 1.3s.

You can also try to change the shutterspeed on the camera, and observe what happens in the app - does it also become read-only, or is it only when you try to change the setting from the app?

Thanks for the your help with this!
skippy2008

October 24th, 2023, 10:14 am

Hello and thank you for answering

Unfortunately, I just tried and even when changing on the camera itself, the shutter speed turns into « read only » as soon as I get above 1sec (and for the following values also)

And I tried what you asked, I skipped into the app directly from 1sec to 2, 4, 8 or sec directly but has the same result.

I tried with my camera set on « speed priority » or « aperture priority » and I have the same issue
skippy2008

October 29th, 2023, 6:31 am

Hello Oliver. Are you still here ?
Oliver

October 29th, 2023, 11:44 am

Of course we're still here.
We're investigating your issue (along with several others, so we don't instantly have a fix for everyone).
So far we have not been able to reproduce this issue, and have also not heard from other GH5 users that they experience the same problem.
Is your camera firmware up to date?

I have also investigated our code and Panasonic's SDK, but have found no glaring mistakes.
Are you a Mac user, by any chance? I'll check with my colleague, but if you're up for it, we might be able to do a remote session, where we could run some tests with your camera connected to your Mac. But it's not trivial to set up, so we'll see if we can find another fix first.
skippy2008

October 29th, 2023, 12:10 pm

Yeah my camera is up to date. I also tried to use with another lens (as they’re electronic lenses, I want wondering if one could mess all up) but with the same result

Yes I am a mac user. And will be happy to try to set something up remotely if it’s necessary. And in fact, I have other bugs to report, regarding the selection of aperture or wrong behavior of the app when I try to change it. I didn’t want to mention it in this thread for not to mix several bugs into one topic 😰

Maybe my unleashed is kind of corrupted :-(

I was so impatient to get my hands on my unleashed since the start of the Indiegogo campaign that’s it’s even more frustrating not to be able to use it for now. But Anyway I appreciate your commitment.