Fuji X-T5 still freezing after first picture [solved with FW A3.1.4]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Michird07

October 21st, 2023, 10:24 pm

Hi, just got my Unleashed yesterday and tried to get it working. Found an issue in the forum from September where the camera freezes after the first picture. Should be repaired with Firmware 3.0.1 but i have updated my phone, my camera and the unleashed and still have this error. Any ideas?
Thanks and regards
Michael
Stografie

October 22nd, 2023, 3:17 pm

Hi,

I also updated everything, but the problem still persists
Kamera X-H2
Regards
Norman
andystenz

October 27th, 2023, 8:10 pm

Having the same issue.

X-T5 is update to the newest firmware (2.03)

Unleashed is updated to newest firmware (A 3.0.1, B 3.0.1, C 3.0.0)

Camera is in TCCA (or whatever the right four are).

When camera does connect (not every time) it's in shutter priority mode and I'm unable to change the aperture at all.

Sometimes the camera doesn't connect.

Sometimes it does but the settings won't change (I select a different shutter speed, for instance, and it doesn't keep the change).

But if I can take a photo, it will shoot and then the camera will flash green and red on the backlight (the small LED one by the thumb) and it will just sit and never transmit the image.

When I turn off the camera (and detach the magnet - otherwise the camera stays on), I turn the camera back on and I can review the photo. If I change the USB setting to see the gallery in the app, I can see the images.

I had one of the original unleashed for my Nikons a few years ago and they were awesome. This is frustrating so far ;-(
andystenz

October 27th, 2023, 9:04 pm

I noticed that sometimes rotating the unleashed on the magnet (so it's horizontal to the ground) gives a better connection and allows me to change settings and take a photo. I've put the USB C dongle in both ways and it doesn't matter - horizontal seems better for some reason.

But the camera is still trying to transmit and not able to.

I'm trying different settings (airplane mode on and off, making sure NR isn't being applied, Bluetooth on and off (with or without a connection). I'm trying everything but nothing seems to work.

ETA: Specifically, when I have the unleashed upright (like in the photos on the site) I get the error "App mode is available. Wrong USB Mode. Change USB mode in your camera menu" BUT when I turn it sideways, the error goes away and it then allows me to trigger the camera (still not transferring).

I'm wondering if this is a connection/wiring issue?
andystenz

October 27th, 2023, 9:34 pm

I've also tried taking out the SD card and turning on "Ok to shoot without card" and I'm having the same issue (camera indicator light flashes green and red)

I've put it in USB Tethered Fixed and it does the same thing. But when I try to turn off the camera (as it just sits in the buffer mode otherwise) it gives me a warning that it's trying to transfer to the PC and makes me cancel the image transfer.

So seems like it's trying to buffer the image out to the usb/unleashed but it's not going out for whatever reason.
andystenz

October 27th, 2023, 11:45 pm

Just grabbed my GFX 100S from the office and having the same issues - connected and shoots the first photo (only when the unleashed is horizontal, not vertical - is this a hardware issue?) but then the indicator light goes red+green and the camera and app freeze until I turn off both and unplug the magnet.

So seems the camera is stuck in some sort of buffering mode and the Unleashed isn't either pulling the photo or isn't telling the camera it HAS pulled the photo and to clear out and move on.

On the plus side, I CAN adjust the aperture with my GFX 100S (but still unable to on the X-T5 - at least with the 16-80mm lens - the only one I have at home to try).
Last edited by andystenz on October 27th, 2023, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver

October 27th, 2023, 11:47 pm

Hmm,
We've definitely fixed this issue for the X-T5 a few months ago, and could not reproduce it anymore either.

Could you test if you have the issue with
- just JPG
- JPG+RAW
- just RAW

Are you using two cards or one? Could you tell us which settings you have set on how these two cards are used? (eg Raw on one, jpg on the other, backup or overflow)
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Oliver

October 27th, 2023, 11:50 pm

And yes, the issue is that the camera saves the photos into a buffer, so that they can be fetched via USB (Fujifilm doesn't allow access to the photos on the SD card, unless you switch USB modes).
The camera then expects us to either read or delete the image, which we of course do.
We did find a major bug in the Fujifillm firmware with regards to reading Raw images, but found and implemented a workaround for that...
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
andystenz

October 27th, 2023, 11:55 pm

Oliver wrote:
October 27th, 2023, 11:47 pm

Could you test if you have the issue with
- just JPG
- JPG+RAW
- just RAW

Are you using two cards or one? Could you tell us which settings you have set on how these two cards are used? (eg Raw on one, jpg on the other, backup or overflow)
On both cameras, I have tried JPG, JPG+RAW, and RAW. I am only using one card but did try to set the 2nd card slot to backup (the camera wouldn't shoot because I didn't have another card in there). So it's set to sequential (overflow).
andystenz

October 28th, 2023, 12:02 am

That workaround isn't working on my end it seems (on two cameras now).

Here's a video of me showing how the orientation of the dongle works and doesn't work (it does this on both cameras as well). Again, this maybe is a hardware thing specific to my unit I received then? Don't know if it would effect the buffer issue at all (unless something isn't getting a good connection back to the camera to send the signal?)

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/o4lju0ao ... 7lvhf&dl=0