Fuji X-T5 still freezing after first picture [solved with FW A3.1.4]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Oliver

October 28th, 2023, 11:07 am

The orientation making such a difference sounds like the contact rings on the magnetic plug are not concentric. We'll send you a new one.

Thanks for the video - that's very helpful! I might have seen something that gives us another path to pursue. Could you try taking a photo from the camera, not the app - does it behave the same way, with the blinking LED on the camera?
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
andystenz

October 28th, 2023, 11:39 am

Thanks! Do you need any order number or anything (my name and email should allow you to pull things up).

I do have a second one at the office and I can test that one when I get back to the office to see if it behaves the same way.

Yes, taking a photo on the camera does give the same result (red/green light) and the buffer issue.

Let me know what else I can provide!
andystenz

October 28th, 2023, 10:49 pm

Ok, some updates:

One of the pins on the dongle itself (not the USB plug) seems to be bent. Here's a photo of the good working one on the left and the one with the bad pin on the right:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/9y6ri1p3 ... dhh8d&dl=0

Now that I'm back in the office, I've also tried these with an older X-T3. Everything works fine with the JPG and JPG+Raw. The raw only takes the photo and the buffer doesn't hold BUT there isn't a preview that transfers. I can only see the preview image transfer with the JPG and JPG+Raw options.

But, the X-T3 has an iso dial with A, T, H, and then the various ISOs. No options allow me to control the ISO from the app (any of those settings, when I change it, the app snaps back to the selected option). Maybe there's a setting somewhere else that I haven't see but just an FYI.

Hope those notes help!
Oliver

October 29th, 2023, 1:40 am

Oh, that does not look good, indeed!
You can try to use a sharp knife (so you can get between the two pins) to bend that pin up very carefully. even if it would break, it wouldn't be so bad as all the contacts are symmetrical, and you have another pin (the second from the top) carrying the same signal. As it is now, it can create a short, which is worse than a missing connection.

To be honest, I'm not sure if previews should be working with just RAW on Fuji. I know that there is a bug in Fujifilms firmware when it comes to fetching part of a raw image, so we have to avoid that, but there is a function to fetch a medium resolution preview in another way, I'll need to check if we have activated that or not. But yes, we recommend shooting with RAW+JPG (or just JPG).

I just had a look at the X-T3's manual and found this:
If COMMAND is selected for [Wrench icon] BUTTON/DIAL SETTING > ISO DIAL SETTING (A), sensitivity can also be adjusted by setting sensitivity to A and rotating the front command dial.
Michird07

November 1st, 2023, 12:58 am

Hi Oliver, i am quite disappointed. When I backed your campaign in March '22 i knew i would need this device in August '23 for a special travel documentary and regarding to your presentation was optimistic to receive this 2 pieces of Unleashed for Fuji X-T5 right on time. This sadly did not happen - ok - i am also in the electronic manufacturing business and have to accept that these things appear. But now, after another 3 months I finally received them and both of them do not work. One has this issue which freezes the camera and the other one cannot freeze the camera because it even does not get a connection to the app (light stays red on the Unleashed device). What a desaster. Just the facts for the one that freezes the camera : all software latest updates, changed cables (as i have one from the second Unleashed I ordered), tried with JPG + RAW and with only JPG. Tried with Save Mode "Sequential" and "Backup" and "Separate". Always the same : After the first picture camera freezes and light on camera blinking red and green unteil i take the battery out.
Please let me know how your next steps are .
Thanks and regards
Michael
Stografie

November 2nd, 2023, 8:15 am

Hi everyone,

got the same Problem with the X-H2. Tried everything as described here. Have also set the camera to factory reset. no change!
regards
Norman
CNitz

November 3rd, 2023, 5:31 pm

Hi Oliver !

Same issue as reported with the Fuji XT5 and the GFX100s. I reported the issue two weeks ago via the support page.

Best Christian
andystenz

November 3rd, 2023, 9:46 pm

Oliver wrote:
October 29th, 2023, 1:40 am
You can try to use a sharp knife (so you can get between the two pins) to bend that pin up very carefully. even if it would break, it wouldn't be so bad as all the contacts are symmetrical, and you have another pin (the second from the top) carrying the same signal. As it is now, it can create a short, which is worse than a missing connection.
Just on update on this Oliver, I was able to use my microscope and tweezers and break off the extra tab that was causing the short. It's now working in both portrait and landscape directions.

So you won't need to send a replacement.

Now we just all need a firmware update so we can use them with our Fuji's ;-)

Have you had anyone outside of your office be able to use their with their Fuji cameras yet or are you seeing this across the board? Seems like a few of us are having issues but if it's not systemwide (and since you can't recreate it anymore with your cameras in-house) that means it might be a firmware or settings issue on our end and I'd love to help get this solved (as I'd love to be able to use these).

Thanks!
Oliver

November 5th, 2023, 11:40 pm

We have a few cameras up to the Fuji X-T4 in the office, and have solved this exact issue with for all these cameras.
We also did an extended debugging session with a customer that had the X-T5 a few months ago, who also had this issue, and we definitely solved it for him too. To account for unknowns, we even added a backup method to take care of this problem.

However, the reports here in the forum and via email show that the issue continues to exist on the X-T5 and X-H2(s) and GFX100s - ie the latest generation of Fujis.
We still have a few other bugs we're hunting before we can focus on this one, but it's high on our todo-list.
andystenz

November 6th, 2023, 12:03 am

Thanks for the heads up, Oliver! Yeah, that it’s working on my X-T3 too sure means it’s something in their newer bodies/firmware.

Wishing you all the best as you hunt down all of these bugs! Looking forward to a resolution when you do get to it! 🤙🏻