Unleashead and Syrp genie mini

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
labski

February 23rd, 2024, 12:43 am

Hello Oliver,
I too am having issues with the Syrup no moving. On occasion it will move once but that is random at best. I have also tried it with the genie II as well as the genie mini II. I have followed all of the videos and watched the davprim. Seems like we have the same issues.
- Running IOS 17.3.1
- All firmware is updated on all Syrp units as well as my two new unleashed units
- Syrp units work fine in Syrp app
- Syrp units all connect to the unleashed app
- Just no movement.

Thanks for your help with this issue.
labski

February 24th, 2024, 5:26 pm

Canon 5D mark III
Unleashed 22
17-40mm lens
Syrp Genie mini II (2)
Syrp Genie II
Syrp pan/tilt brackets
Neewer slider
iPad (9th generation) running IOS 15.3.1 not updated to 17.3.!!!

Just tested the Syrp Genie mini II and the Genie II. My setup consists of two mini II’s on the pan tilt brackets mounted on the Genie II attached to my slider. All Syrp devices are up to date with firmware.

1- set up a stop motion sequence in Syrp app.
2- disconnected the devices in the app
3- opened the unleashed app connected to all three Syrp devices. (It did take about 4-10 seconds for each to fully connect, first the green light in the app next to each accessory then solid green on each of the Syrp devices)
4- Started the Timelapse and it actually worked!
All Syrp devices ran through their designated movements in the move shoot move action.

Hope this work around may help others to get the system running as well as assist in a fix for the app.
neilhenderson

February 25th, 2024, 4:03 pm

Hi, I'm a bit confused... unless I'm missing something your work around is exactly what the video and Oliver have advised us to do. I've had another go today just in case one of the recent firmware updates had resolved the issue and not been documented. Using just my Genie linear with a Nikon z9... no movement at all.
angryuser

February 25th, 2024, 6:05 pm

Hi there,
I tried a lot and could not copy your workflow.
Before I will again spend several hours, here some questions:

Both Syrp devices change from red to turquoise in the Accessory menu. But not to green. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I've seen a green dot in front of a Syrp device at some point in the last 5 hours.

- Is the green connection point a prerequisite for the Syrp devices to respond? If so - what else can I try?

- I have two Genie Mini (V1) - you, labski seem to be using two Genie Mini II.

@oliver: are the Genie Mini (V1) supported? Could that make a difference?

@oliver: the camera I'm testing with is a Canon 700D - even without Motion Gear I repeatedly get the message "App mode is available. Wrong USB mode. Change the USB mode in the camera menu."
In my opinion, there is no app mode - it is only possible to activate HDMI control. That is necessary for the U22 to at least identify the camera as a Canon 700D.

@oliver: I tried both - Android and IOS. Is there a general recommendation as to what should work better?
The Android app does not offer any LRT algorithms.
Is there an explanation somewhere of how the LRT modes differ?

Regards,
Tim
angryuser

March 3rd, 2024, 2:01 pm

Hey Oliver,
would be nice to read some comments from you or the team.
Oliver

March 4th, 2024, 9:48 am

Hi,

I just returned from a business trip to Japan then China, hence the silence from me here. Sorry for the wait.

So, the "workaround" does sound like the normal process, yes!
One thing to note that's not entirely clear in the post is that after setting up a stop motion timelapse in the Syrp app, it's critical to also start it, before disconnecting and letting the Unleashed take over the connection.

One thing that can go wrong, is that the more bluetooth connections the Unleashed needs to handle, the more likely it is that one of them won't work. So while the Unleashed can handle the app connection and 3 accessory connections, some accessories won't accept parameter negotiations for the connection, or something else can go wrong.
We have done countless optimisations on this front, and it has gotten a LOT better, but will not be perfect every time.

To be honest, which we have not done much testing with multiple syrps, but have used the PINE II controller for multi-axis tests instead. Here there's only a single Bluetooth connection to the Unleashed in addition to the one to the app.

So yes, do check the turquoise dot next to the Syrps in the Accessories screen, if one of them is still red, it won't work. No, there's no green color here. We might have yellow during initialisation, but I'm not sure if you ever see it in the apps. However, colors are perceived very differently by everyone, so the "turquoise" color is called "teal", "blue" and "green" by many of our customers, when they all mean the same color (not so important here, but just FYI: the Unleashed's LED goes from Turqoise to Light-blue when an accessory stays connected, but the App gets disconnected!).

On that note: If you do have problems with multiple accessory connections, disconnecting from the app might in theory help, though I'm not 100% sure how we handle reconnecting to motion control accessories, if we (temporarily) lose connection in the middle of a running timelapse.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
angryuser

March 13th, 2024, 2:50 pm

One thing to note that's not entirely clear in the post is that after setting up a stop motion timelapse in the Syrp app, it's critical to also start it, before disconnecting and letting the Unleashed take over the connection.
To be honest, this was not only not "entirely clear"- you did not mention that anywhere.

The art of creating a guide or tutorial is to mention every step and not just leave some out in the hope that the user of the tutorial has the same background knowledge as you.
So I took the trouble to go through the workflow - as I understood it.

The linked video is a screen shot of an Iphone 14 Pro Max on IOS 16.5.1, Unleahed 3.3.1 and Syrp 2.2.0.
Camera is a Sony A7RIII, the Syrp Genie Mini 1 runs with FW 4.44.
No app is running in the background.

https://youtu.be/6QfOOtpw0z4?si=6zkT-kZTkA70JwyS&t=1

0:10-0:20
connected the Syrp Genie Mini 1 to the Syrp app

0:25-0:42
started a new stop motion keyframe setup (while the Genie Mini moved to the 0° position

0:43-1:01
made a 45-frame 90°-rotation stop motion setup.

1:03-1:58
by pressing the play-button on the right side of the screen I made the Genie Mini do a preview run of the 90° rotation (that takes 45s); after that the Genie Min returns to the start point
1:59-2:07
I pressed the red apertature style button under the above mentioned white ply button- the point that seems to be necessary to make the Genie Mini start and wait. Then I disconnected the Enie Mini in the Syrp app.
2:08
I started the Unleashed app while I did not actively close the Srp app.

Sorry for the rotation-"problem" now- simply rotate your head (or monitor) for 90° to continue...

2:10-2:30
started the Unleashed app and verified the connection to m camera. then verified the connection to the Syrp Genie Mini. As I have two, I disconnected the Geni Mini that is not in use to be on the safe side

for some reason the Unleashed app has a different/incorrect/older name for the Geni Mini. Imho a bug in the Unleashed app- the app needs to read the Syrp devices name on every connect and update it when necessary.

2:30-3:06
The holy grail workflow is set to 45 frames and a 10s interval. the timelapse can not be started at all.

next bug! another bug is that there is no selection for the Algorithm- this seems to change under the influence of solar activity - sometimes there are the 4 LRT modes, sometimes also the normal ramping, sometimes all 5...

3:07
Since the camera didn't even start, I finally tried to start the camera in normal time-lapse mode - and thus also the Genie Mini. Take a guess! That's right! The Genie Mini didn't move a bit. <- next bug!

It took me quite a long time to do this detailled and commented video. Any ideas?