A7III Focus Bracketing [Solved in FW A3.1.4]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
ht2

November 13th, 2023, 4:22 am

Hello,

Focus bracket is not working on Unleashed 22 for Sony A7III. 99% of the time there is no picture taken and the app does not show a photo being taken. Occasionally one shot will be triggered but focus does not change. App and camera is still responsive during this. Changing step size, # shots, or direction does not change behavior.

Focus mode: manual
USB settings: PC Remote
Still Img. Save Dest.: PC+Camera
RAW+J PC Save Img = JPEG Only
Sony FW: 4.01
Unleashed 22 FW: A 3.1.1, B 3.1.0, C 3.1.0
ht2

December 4th, 2023, 2:54 am

Is Focus Bracketing working for anyone else? Sony or otherwise? looking for some kind of acknowledgement..
Oliver

December 4th, 2023, 12:04 pm

Hi

yes, Focus Bracketing is working for many people, but we just found something that could make this very unstable with the right combination of settings. We're working on a workaround for this, that will come in one of the next firmware updates.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Oliver

December 22nd, 2023, 2:05 pm

First of all, sorry for the late reply. It's been a very busy month, but I'm doing my best to catch up with everyone before the Christmas break!

We made some major improvements to Bracketing and flex intervals in firmware update A3.1.4. I hope this solves your issue!
One thing that we can not handle yet, is if your camera has Long Exposure noise reduction turned on. This essentially locks the camera for twice the exposure duration, without telling the Unleashed about it, and will almost certainly cause trouble. So be sure to turn that off when you do your next tests.

Happy Holidays!
ht2

January 9th, 2024, 12:02 am

Hi Oliver, appreciate the team's effort and acknowledging the work its taking to update/maintain for all of the different camera brands. Thanks to you all for the support.

Unfortunately, I'm updated to A: 3.2.0, B: 3.2.0, C: 3.1.0 and there's no change to the Focus Bracketing behavior that I'm seeing. I can trigger in the app, the shutter button stays pressed down and eventually resets. No photo is taken, no change in focus position, and the app is still responsive. Exposure bracketing appears to be working great however!

Example of button staying pressed:
IMG_2564.PNG
IMG_2564.PNG (110.86 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
Oliver

January 9th, 2024, 10:31 am

Hmm, that's not good.

Yeah, it's not just all the brands that we have to take care of, but especially with Sony, there are really three "generations" of cameras we have to take care of, which behave very different from each other. And then of course there are millions of possible combinations of camera settings you might have... all of which might have an influence on a particular feature.

Could you let me know if your camera is set to Manual focus or Autofocus? I'll ask my developer that implemented this which one is needed for focus bracketing - because unfortunately some brands require the camera to be set to MF, while others need it to be set to AF even though that sounds counterintuitive!

We'll have another look - thanks for the report!
ht2

January 9th, 2024, 5:19 pm

I'm in MF. Single shot. Raw+jpg.

Any other mode states "Bracketing trigger is not available. Focus mode is MF. Change focus mode." - Just realizing that might be a typo? Should probably say "Focus mode is AF"?