Nikon Z9 interval option FLEX mode is not working

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
aSang

November 13th, 2023, 3:24 pm

Hi all, nikon Z9 Interval option FLEX mode is not working properly, when I set all the parameters and press the shutter button, the camera doesn't respond, can you please tell me what is the reason?
IMG_2755.PNG
IMG_2756.PNG
Oliver

November 13th, 2023, 3:38 pm

Hi,

your firmware is out of date!

It's really odd that it is showing it is up to date!?
do you have any mechanism to disable internet connectivity for the Unleashed app? It needs to fetch the new firmware from our servers (Google's firebase servers to be precise)
Don't worry, the firmware is less than 1MB.

If that's not the case, can you kill and restart your app? that will definitely trigger the check for new firmware.

the Flex interval was greatly improved in FW 3.0.0
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
aSang

November 13th, 2023, 3:53 pm

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, I have repeatedly restarted the app on my iphone and I have confirmed that it is connected, but the app does not prompt any firmware update
Oliver

November 13th, 2023, 9:35 pm

Oh, I just had a thought:
could it be that you are in China where Google servers are blocked?
We use Firebase (which is a service from Google) to update our firmware in the apps, so it could be that your phone cannot connect to the Firebase servers!

I'll talk to my developers and see if we can think of a practical solution!
aSang

November 14th, 2023, 1:26 pm

Thanks for your reply, I just upgraded the firmware to the latest and confirmed that the app is also the latest version, the FLEX interval mode still can't work properly, the app doesn't have any response after pressing the shooting button, and the camera also doesn't have any shooting action. In addition, I found a problem, APP adjust the aperture value, the camera lens can only be synchronized in a range, my configuration Nikon Z9 4.10 firmware + Z14-24 f2.8s, aperture synchronization can only be adjusted in the range of F5.6-F2.8, from F6.3-F22, adjusting the APP, the lens does not have any action, I hope to get a professional reply!
Oliver

November 14th, 2023, 1:58 pm

Hmm, this is unusual, we don't have any other complaints about the Z9, and have already done a lot of testing with this camera in the past.

Could it be that you have not pushed the Unelashed into the camera's socket all the way? Nikon slightly changed the manufacturing of their 10 pin socket, so it's a little harder to push the Unleashed into them compared to the D800-D850 cameras. You have to wiggle the Unleashed a little bit while pushing it in to make sure all 10 pins are inserted. then you can push the Unleashed all the way in so it sits flush with the metal part of the socket.

Could you send us a photo of your Unleashed on your camera, and if possible a video of your problems?

it would be best if we can see the App and the camera. In the video you can change the aperture from the app and then again from the camera itself (so we can see if the values in the app update, or if there's a problem there as well.

Before testing the flex timelapse, does normal triggering in the PHOTO screen work as expected?
When you choose a shutterspeed of 2s and trigger, can you see an animated yellow ring around the shutterbutton in the app?
If it's 1/1.3s is there a static yellow ring around the trigger button?

Thanks already!
aSang

November 14th, 2023, 4:29 pm

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, I made a video about the FLEX interval mode

https://youtu.be/UNdIuYfOXqI
Oliver

November 14th, 2023, 7:09 pm

Ah! I see - you're using the Unleashed M on the Nikon Z9. We normally recommend the Unleashed N1 for the Z9, as it has better support and more features. So all my thoughts were based on this assumption.

We don't do a lot of testing with the Unleashed M on Nikon cameras that support the Unleashed N1 or N2, but will have to look into this! It should either work, or if not, then you shouldn't even have the option in the app ;-)