Holy Grail is not working with Fuji XT5

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
CNitz

November 19th, 2023, 5:02 pm

Hi !
After solving the "freezings picture" problem with the latest Fuji Cams, I tried a Holy Grail Timelapse today. It's not working at all. At the beginning I can set all my settings without any issues. During the Making of the Timelapse the Ramping function is not working. I get an error message that there are too many Ramping failures. Can`t imagine
why. In my opinion all the settings are correct.

Best

Christian
Oliver

November 20th, 2023, 11:40 am

Can you share your settings?

Too many ramping errors means that we could not make adjustments to the settings even though the algorithm expected it.

This could be due to :
- interval being too short for the shutterspeed, and not leaving enough time for processing, we set this requirement to 2s, but it could be that on Fuji we'd actually need more time, since it's "thumbmails" are significantly larger than other cameras (320x240 on old cameras, 640x480 on newer ones vs 160x120 on all other brands), so the computation for the LRT algorithm could be a lot longer.
- long exposure noise reduction being on, which essentially doubles the shutterspeed. (or rather the time in which we can't do any computation on the images
- slow SD card making the above worse too

We'll double check if we really use the 640x480px image for the calculation, and if we don't have something quicker available for that now.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
CNitz

November 20th, 2023, 4:22 pm

Hi Oliver !
Thanks for the quick replay. I set the in interval to 8s, shutter speed at the beginning 1/6s, IS0125, F 2.8, Image Raw and Normal (1:1). Values for the night: shutter speed 4s, F2.8. and ISO 3200. I used a fast SD Card. Longtime Exposure off.

Tested it right now. After 4-6 shots I get the error message. No changes at all. It think it makes no sense to try it with the GFX100s ?

Best

Christian
Oliver

November 20th, 2023, 5:00 pm

Can you try these two things:

1) go to the PHOTO screen, in the bottom right, enable Image review by setting it to "S" - take a photo. Does this photo show up in the app, or does it fail? (the LRT algorithm uses this same photo, as input, so this would verify that we're getting input)
2) in the PHOT screen, manually change shutterspeed by 1/3rd of a stop, then Aperture, then ISO. Check on the Camera (not just the app) that these values changed. take a photo. do the values still show the newly set ones, or did they revert back to the previous values?
CNitz

November 20th, 2023, 5:50 pm

Hi Oliver !

I tested it. There is no photo transmission to the App. I also tested the Holy Grail Function with the GFX100s. No issues, no error message. The JPG (S) of the GFX100s is 1mb smaller than the JPG of the XT5.

Best

Christian
Oliver

November 20th, 2023, 6:07 pm

Could you send us a jpg and a raw from these tests?
ideally with a dropbox/googledrive link to support@foolography.com

Thanks!
CNitz

November 20th, 2023, 6:10 pm

Sure. From the XT5 and GFX ?
CNitz

November 20th, 2023, 6:29 pm

Hi Oliver !

I sent you a dropbox link. The difference between the two jpgs is really huge.

Best

Christian
Oliver

November 21st, 2023, 11:13 am

Thanks. we'll run those through our Image processing code, and see if it comes up with any errors.

Just for the sake of testing: could you try a Holy Grail Timelapse with the Image quality set to Raw+JPG, and leave the JPG size at the default aspect ratio, so L 3:2 or so?
It should also work with other aspect ratios, but lets start with what we always test with.

BTW, if you want to see if Holy grail works, without actually waiting for the sun to set, you can just start a holy grail with a sunset algorithm, and the camera set for a fairly normal exposure. After the first photo, cover the lens with your hand or the lens cap. you should now see the exposure being adjusted after every image.
Oliver

November 21st, 2023, 11:43 am

Hmm, all 4 images are decoded without any problems.

I had one more idea from a problem we just found with a Sony setting:
In MENU -> SET UP -> CONNECTION SETTING -> GENERAL SETTINGS
Try setting RESIZE IMAGE FOR SMARTPHONE (3M) to both on, then off,
and see if in the PHOTO screen, you can get an image review transferred to the Unleashed app.
I just tested and both works fine on the X-T4, but maybe the X-T5 behaves differently here too.

Could you do a screen recording of that try, so we can see what happens? (I'd like to observe the trigger button in the app, to see if it stays half pressed or pressed, and how the yellow ring around it behaves.

Thanks!