Pictures not geotagged

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
pazoulay

November 22nd, 2023, 3:50 am

Hi,

I am taking picture outside using my Sony A7IV. The GPS Icon turned from red to yellow, indicating that I have a GPS lock I believe. My permissions are set to allow location access when the app is active (Android 14).
But no GPS coordinates appear to be captured. What could be the reason?

Regards

Pierre
Oliver

November 24th, 2023, 1:07 pm

There can be many reasons for this:
1) Pairing with the camera might not have worked correctly - if you want to start over:
- delete the pairing in the camera, or ideally, reset the network settings to factory default.
- Then (and this is important) turn off the camera, unplug the battery, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in.
- Reset the Unleashed to factory defaults: App menu (bottom left) → Unleashed with gear icon (bottom left) → Your Unleashed (near top ) → Settings → scroll down to "Factory Reset" and tap that.
- Now go back to the PHOTO screen and change GPS mode to "Add camera" again, and follow the instructions.

2) Pairing worked, but the Unleashed just can't connect to the camera. This can happen, and we recommend the starting over procedure above
3) The Unleashed is still connecting. Sometimes it just takes a while for the camera to enable Bluetooth and allow an incoming connection, and sometimes the Unleashed just takes a little longer to connect. This is especially true if you're also using an external GPS receiver, but it sounds like you're using the app. Just wait a little longer, or disable GPS in the App, wait a few seconds and reenable it, and the Unleashed will try to reconnect to the camera. You might see this with the Bluetooth icon on the camera still greyed out.
4) Connection is there, but there's an issue with the GPS data: Whenever there is an issue where the App can't send GPS data to the Unleashed, the GPS icon SHOULD be red, but of course there could be edge cases where that's not the case.
- When the Unleashed doesn't have GPS data, but is expecting it from the app, The LED will blink red in between the normal sequences of the Led.
- Make sure your GPS Accuracy threshold is not too high (start with 1km if you're in an urban area or indoors). You can change that here: App menu (bottom left) → Unleashed with gear icon (bottom left) → your Unleashed (near top ) → Settings -> GPS Accuracy
- Make sure you gave all the permissions for Location, Location Services and Nearby devices.

I hope this helps
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
pazoulay

November 25th, 2023, 12:04 am

Thanks Oliver. I began with step 3 which was the least involved. So far no luck. So I guess I am going to start fresh. What do you mean by "delete the pairing in the camera"?
pazoulay

November 25th, 2023, 12:06 am

In "Manage Paired Device" it says that there are no devices paired which I guess could be part of the issue? But things look p[aired in the app.
pazoulay

November 25th, 2023, 4:36 pm

Oliver, I have now reset things completely as in your first advice. Good news, I seem to be able to get GPS lock more easily in the app (even indoors, setting set to 1000-i assume meters-in the settings). Bad news: when I take a picture, GPS coordinates are still not recorded into the exposures' metadata.
regards,
Pierre
Oliver

December 23rd, 2023, 4:24 pm

First of all, sorry for the late reply. It's been a very busy month, but I'm doing my best to catch up with everyone before the Christmas break!

Hmm, this is odd, it's working very well with our Sony A7 IV.

Are you sure you are following the instructions in the Sheet popping up in the App exactly? There are more instructions on the third page (after the Accessories pairing screen) - be sure to follow those too!

We're working on a video tutorial for this, but I can't yet make any promises when that's going to be available.

Happy Holidays!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
pazoulay

December 24th, 2023, 11:01 pm

Hi Oliver,

I have gotten everything to work on camera but the geotagging.
Trying to understand why.
It seems from what you wrote that clicking on the satellite icon in the app is supposed to trigger a whole menu of configurations. But this never happened for me. Yes, some youtube tutorials would be very useful (without anoying music?)
regards (and happy holidays)

Pierre