Can only access camera settings OR enable GPS tagging, not both at the same time.

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
xeg12

December 15th, 2023, 7:09 pm

I am currently on the latest 3.1.4 firmware, latest android app (3.1.0) on a OnePlus 11 and using a Canon Eos R5.

Posts on this website suggests if I can only use GPor camera settings but not both at the same time this means no USB connection.
I have cleaned and reconnected all connections including the magnetic one and no change. Also I have just plugged in the HDMI connection only and checked the firmware etc. It seems to register as connected but all camera settings and GPS are disabled with a message saying no USB connection so presumably when fully connected the USB IS connected thus earlier info on this site is wrong - what gives? The device is pretty useless to me at present - I might just as well revert to the Cannon Connect app and get GPS and remote control via that!
Oliver

December 15th, 2023, 9:18 pm

Hi,
Unfortunately Canon broke the GPS commands that we use on older Canons - which worked really well! Our only option is to enable Geotagging via Bluetooth Low Energy, which works great, but unfortunately, Canon immediately disables Bluetooth as soon as we start USB communication! That's why when you enable GPS on a Canon with a Digic 8 processor or newer, we have to disable USB as long as GPS is turned on. Turning off GPS in the Unleashed app will enable camera control via USB again. We hope that we can still convince Canon to fix their USB GPS commands in a firmware update (they're still available, just broken), but until they do, our hands are tied.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
xeg12

December 17th, 2023, 7:31 pm

I am angry to hear this. It means the device is a pure waste of money.
The R5 is one of the most popular top end cameras of the last few years, not a niche product. This major problem should have been shown "front and centre" so I would not have wasted my money on this useless device. It is not even worth it for the GPS as it merely does what the Camera Connect app does AND uses more battery while doing it!