Sony RX10 Mk4 - no geotagging, holy grail not working

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
anselmocat

January 4th, 2024, 6:25 pm

Hi team

I have the unleashed 22 and a Sony RX10 mk4

The geotagging doesn’t work - it won’t find my camera when trying to pair as an accessory in the app. Any ideas?

Also when running a holy grail it doesn’t change the setting as the sun sets. It just stays on whatever the starting setting was

I look forward to hearing from you

Nick
thsieh

January 11th, 2024, 7:56 pm

I am very interested in the resolution of this. I have the same camera and just destroyed my intervalometer with leaky batteries. I was looking at Unleashed '22 as an expensive replacement, but if the "extra things" don't work, maybe not.
anselmocat

January 11th, 2024, 11:39 pm

@thsieh the intervalometer part works ok (albeit with a couple of quirks) but I did get this mainly for the holy grail and geotagging functionality so I’m hoping they reply and can provide a solution
Oliver

January 12th, 2024, 10:26 am

We'll try to publish another firmware update today with some fixes that might also affect sony.

Could you be more specific with your issues? maybe post a video or screen-recording where I can see some of your settings, and what's going wrong?

To test holy grail at home, it's easiest to choose a sunset algorithm with a 5s interval, start it with the lens open, and then just hold your hand in front of the lens to make the scene dark. Then you should be able to watch the Unleashed increase shutterspeed by 0.3 EV after every shot. if you choose your Night limits to be just a few settings below the starting value, you'll also be able to observe the ramping order.
If you let us know where this is going wrong, (ideally with a video/screen-recording) we'll know where to begin investigating.

Same with Geotagging: If we know where exactly things are going wrong, it's easier to help.
We're still working on our proper tutorial, but here's a quick and dirty one I did for Nikons with the Unleashed M (big difference: on Sony you don't need to switch to the phone's Bluetooth settings)

https://youtu.be/N6Wz9QRbUCE

One thing about Sony: if something does not work, and you want to restart the pairing process, it's best if you unpair everything in the camera, if possible do a reset of the communication settings, and then - this is important - turn off the camera, remove the camera battery for a few seconds, then re-insert it.
Also do a factory reset of the Unleashed to be sure to have cleared any remainders from a previous pairing procedure gone wrong: Menu -> Unleashed with Gear icon -> Your Unleashed -> Settings. At the very bottom there's a factory reset button.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
anselmocat

January 12th, 2024, 11:20 am

Thanks Oliver

I had tried the holy grail test after seeing it described by you elsewhere and it doesn’t work

I’ll try taking a video and trying your other suggestions later today
Oliver

January 12th, 2024, 6:14 pm

Be sure to update your Unleashed's firmware - we made a fix for geotagging on the RX Series cameras a while ago.

Whenever there's a Firmware update available, you'll see a red notification badge on the menu icon in the bottom left corner of the app. Follow this notification badge through the app to get to the firmware update screen.
App menu (bottom left) → Unleashed with gear icon (bottom left) → tap on your Unleashed (near top ) → tap "Firmware"
Scroll down and tap "Install Update". With the Unleashed M, you need to keep the camera awake, so that the Unleashed stays powered during the entire update. To keep the camera from entering standby, half-press the cameras's shutterbutton continuously or regularly until the update is done. This only takes a little over a minute.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
anselmocat

January 12th, 2024, 7:20 pm

Yes I’m on the most recent firmware already so that’s not the issue