Update to latest firmware [Sony A7iii] [solved with retries and factory reset]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
crackly

January 7th, 2024, 1:58 pm

Hi there,

I am having trouble updating my firmware from A3.1.2, B3.2.0, C3.1.0 to A3.2.0, B3.2.0, C3.1.0
I have tried,
- Taking out the battery from the camera
- Turning off wifi on the phone
- Turning off bluetooth (although the app prompts me to turn it on again]
- killed off the App
- tried paring with another phone and tried updating on that
- put the unleashed in the freezer for 10 mins

Each time it doesn't move past 0% and then comes up with "Update Failed" and the "please try and kill the app....." message.
Once it did get to 50% and failed but that was only once out of possibly 20 or 30 attempts

The phones I used are running android
My camera is a Sony A7iii

I have had similar problems in the past, but I thought there was something I found that suggested doing something that made a difference but I can't remember now what it was. (or find where that suggestion was)

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
Chris
Oliver

January 7th, 2024, 2:22 pm

With the Unleashed M, you need to keep the camera awake, so that the Unleashed stays powered during the entire update. To keep the camera from entering standby, half-press the cameras's shutterbutton continuously or regularly until the update is done.

And be patient! On Android it can take quite some time to go from 0% to 1%, but will be much faster afterward.

Watch the Unleashed's LED: as soon as you hit the Install update button, the LED should go red (not orange yellow) when it enters the firmware update mode and then turn blue (not turquoise) once the App reconnects in that mode. Then, once the upload starts, it will blink blue (and the percentage should go up)

If you're stuck on red and it never goes blue, you can try to unpair the Unleashed in this state, and re-pair while it is in Firmware update mode. FYI: You only have 2 minutes before it reboots out of firmware update mode.

I hope this helps!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
crackly

January 7th, 2024, 5:02 pm

Thanks for your quick response Oliver.

Half pressing the shutter makes no difference.
The app sits on 0% for a while (10s) and then goes back to the Update failed screen.
I tried unpairing and repairing and still no joy.

So currently the light on the Unleashed is blue, then flashing red quickly then back to blue when not trying the update and doesn't seem to change when the update is starting. I can't find anywhere that states what the different lights mean, is there any documentation on this?

Thanks again for your quick reply,
Chris
crackly

January 9th, 2024, 7:00 pm

In case anyone else is having this issue in the future....

I tried a factory Reset and as soon as I tried updating after that it worked fine.
Oliver

January 10th, 2024, 1:46 pm

I'm glad it works now! Thanks for reporting back!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.