Unleashed(18) LED pattern meaning and GPS from phone drop out

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
LTN

January 8th, 2024, 1:11 pm

Hi,

I got the Unleashed in Aug 2021, been using it just to Geo tag my photos locally. Recently went on a long trip and got a bit frustrated with the losing GPSs data of the Unleashed from my phone.

I've encountered countless situation where Unleash is not getting GPS location from the phone and the frustrating thing is, photos taken a minute ago and even 30 seconds ago had GPS location, I don't understand why.

If I've stopped taking photos for a hour or even 30 minutes I would check and see if location is available. But while I'm walking around and taking photos every minute or two I expect the phone is still connected and location data available. I've left the settings on the my android phone app as default. Question is why is this happening and is there anything situation that I should be aware of that cause the app not to send GPS anymore to Unleash from the phone?

Another question is what the LED patters meant ? Oliver did give me a list of what each colour meant but with the issue, I have looked into the different pattern which his list does not really explain and unfortunately till now there isn't a proper documentation explaining the LED patterns.

LED
Pattern 1 - Turquoise colour slow glow and then slow fade - I guess this means it's connected.
Pattern 2 - Red colour quick blink and then Turquoise colour slow glow and slow fade. Not sure what this means
Pattern 3 - Red Colour quick blink and then brighter red colour slow glow and slow fade. Not sure what this means too.

Also does the phone still send current GPS data to Unleash when the LED is showing Pattern 2 and 3 ?

Also, why does the app have to be in the background before GPS data is transmitted ?

Regards
Lip Tsin
Oliver

January 8th, 2024, 11:11 pm

Hi,
there was a bug in a firmware we released a while ago which caused issues when the app was not in the background, or even if you turned on the Unleashed while the App was in the background. This was fixed a few days later in another firmware update. If I recall correctly, this was Firmware 3.0.1 and 3.0.2, at the beginning of November, but I'm not 100% sure.

Turquoise means connected, yellow/orange means it's not connected (but ready to connect).
Slow pulsing turquoise means the app is in the background, continuously lit means it's in the foreground (settings are updated all the time)
a triple pulse of the LED means a timelapse is running.

The red blink between any other normal LED pattern indicates that there is an error. In most cases this error has to do with GPS data issues.
if you open the app, the GPS icon should be red and tapping on the (i) in the top right corner, you will see an error message with the reason why the icon is red or the LED is blinking red. Of course, many errors are solved when the Unleashed app gets opened, so sometimes you might not get to see an error anymore when you want to check it in the app. There can be other errors causing a red blink, such as a bluetooth accessory being paired to the Unleashed but currently not connected.

Can you specify which camera you're using and what firmware your Unleashed is currently on?

Whenever there's a Firmware update available, you'll see a red notification badge on the menu icon in the bottom left corner of the app. Follow this notification badge through the app to get to the firmware update screen.
App menu (bottom left) → Unleashed with gear icon (bottom left) → tap on your Unleashed (near top ) → tap "Firmware"
Scroll down and tap "Install Update". With the Unleashed M/C1/C2, you need to keep the camera awake, so that the Unleashed stays powered during the entire update. To keep the camera from entering standby, half-press the cameras's shutterbutton continuously or regularly until the update is done. This only takes a little over a minute.

I hope this helps!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Oliver

January 8th, 2024, 11:12 pm

I also moved the topic to the bugs & issues forum, as it fits better here ;-)
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.