Timelapse & Holy Grail not working with long exposures (Sony a7 iv) [fixed in A3.3.0]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
TMacD

February 11th, 2024, 3:39 am

When trying to use Timelapse and Holy Grail modes with long exposures over 30 seconds (with camera in bulb mode) the unleashed triggers the first photo but won’t trigger any subsequent photos. The app freezes up and gives the message: “Timelapse trigger is not available. Camera is shooting. Wait for the shot to finish.”, even though the camera is not triggered after the first image.

Timelapse and Holy Grail are still working for exposures 30 seconds and less (i.e., not in bulb mode).

I successfully used Timelapse mode for long exposures a couple months ago with the same camera so it seems like this is a new bug.

Firmware - A/B: 3.2.1; C: 3.1.0
iOS app version: 3.1.1
Oliver

February 12th, 2024, 12:06 pm

Hi, thanks for the report!

We had one other customer with this issue, but could not reproduce it with our A7 IV.

Could you post a screenshot of your camera settings (if you tap on the top part of the Timelapse/Autoramp screen?
Could you check if your camera is set to have Long Exposure Noise Reduction enabled?

Could you send us a video of the issue where we can see Unleashed app, Unleashed LED and the camera screen?

If you have Android, could you share a log file with us? Menu -> (i) -> Share Log File

Thanks already!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
TMacD

February 14th, 2024, 2:50 am

Thanks for looking into this, Oliver.

I will send you a video in the next couple days.

In the meantime I can confirm that long exposure noise reduction is off. I’m also using the camera settings I normally use with unleashed as outlined in your getting started guide.
pazoulay

February 14th, 2024, 5:27 am

Since we have the same issue, I am posting a video of the problem I am encountering. I also sent the log file using the app a few minutes ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/aoi8cmrx ... gjhiy&dl=0

Hope this provides some clues as to what could be going on.

Bets,

Pierre
Oliver

February 14th, 2024, 11:57 am

As I also described here:
viewtopic.php?p=5762#p5762
We found the cause of the issue, so we'll issue a firmware update, probably some time this week that contains this fix.
We normally "end a shot" when we get certain information from the camera, where the number of photos in RAM increases, or the number of photos remaining for a memory card decreases, then increases again. This has been reliable in our testing, but maybe in your case (large/fast memory card maybe?) there's a chance the Unleashed missed such info. With the new Firmware update, we won't only rely on this, but other info as well. Especially in the long exposure case, where the Unleashed actually actively ends the shot, we can also set the end of the shot manually, so this issue will definitely be fixed.
TMacD

February 14th, 2024, 6:50 pm

Thank you, Oliver. Most appreciated! And thanks to you as well, Pierre, for sharing a video.

Oliver - On a completely different topic, I used the Unleashed ‘22 with my Black Forest slider set up (with Pine II controller) for the first time a couple days ago and I’m pleased to say the two systems worked together perfectly. It was a smooth and seamless experience. Thanks!
TMacD

February 20th, 2024, 8:09 pm

Thanks a bunch for the firmware update! Really nice to be able to do bulb exposures in timelapse mode.
Oliver

February 20th, 2024, 8:19 pm

I'm glad to hear it's working well now!

Also great to hear people are successfully using the Unleashed with the PINE controller ;-)

I'd love to see some of your results! You can post some links here, so others get inspired too! ;-)