Unleashed behaving oddly [solved - sigma lens issue]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Worminger

February 12th, 2024, 10:24 am

Wonder if anyone knows what might be going on. I am trying a day/night timelapse, and I set my parameters for Day Tv to 1/640, and also the same value for Start Tv.

In a number of attempts, whatever i set as the Day limit, and the Start Tv values, within a few frames the Unleashed has rapidly dropped the Tv to 60, then 50, then 40... and as a result all the images are blown out, as I had in fact set the appropriate start value.

it keeps doing this, and I am at a loss to know how to set this up so it respects the start value and only gradually adjusts as light decreases.

Anyone have any insight into whether this thing is just faulty or I have set it up wrong?

Worminger
Worminger

February 12th, 2024, 11:48 am

Partially answering myself; I did update the firmware, which made no difference. However what did change the behaviour was changing the algorithm; the problem I first describe came from the EV 24h algorithm.

When I changed to the LRT Sunset beta (yes, it was sunset), it respected the start value and did not overexpose after three frames; however it did the opposite of the EV 24h, and despite the scene getting darker, it simply kept the Tv at the start value throughout a sequence of 360 shots over 30 minutes.

Again - not what this device is apparently capable of, so I am left wondering whether the device I received is faulty or I have missed an important step in set up?

Any views/experience that might help?

Worminger
Oliver

February 12th, 2024, 12:18 pm

Hi Worminger,

Could you post some more details here? Camera brand, Model, Firmware version, iOS/ANdroid + App version would be really good to know.
If you're using Nikon, are you using the USB cable or not?

The EV-24h Algorithm uses the EV-meter of the camera, and will try to keep it close to ±0.0EV plus whatever you have set in the "Adjustment" setting on the Holy grail screen. The meter info we get from the camera will have EV compensation already factored in, so if your EV compensation is set to +3.0 (as an example), the EV-Meter will read ±0.0 when the image is totally overexposed.

The LRT based Algorithms will instead try to keep the overall brightness of the image the same as the first image shot.

So please check the EV-meter value that you see in the app between camera name and battery level, and if that shows a negative value when you like the exposure of your image, that's the reason why it will overexpose - in order to get that meter close to 0.0.
If that's not the case, please give us as much info as possible, so that we can try to find the bug causing this.

Thanks already, and sorry for the issue!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Worminger

February 13th, 2024, 11:00 pm

Thanks Oliver for the prompt and helpful response.

It belatedly occurred to me to check that the camera and lens I was using would otherwise perform properly - and it turns out that the camera and lens combo (Canon 5D Mk IV with Sigma 1:1.4 DG 50mm) has communication issues between lens and camera; I hadn't noticed because I usually set the Tv and Av myself, but when I shot outside on Auto, again it was overexposed.

Apparently a known issue with Sigma lenses and some Canons!

I replaced the lens with a Zeiss 28mm for another composition and it works beautifully - and I am getting some results I am really happy with.

Thanks again - fabulous product and I couldn't be happier. I am looking forward to experimenting further to get the most out of this incredible little device.

All the best!

Worminger
Oliver

February 14th, 2024, 11:55 am

Thanks for the feedback!
I'm glad it works with the other lens!
You can usually get Firmware updates for Sigma lenses to fix such incompatibility issues, but you'll need the device to carry out the update!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.