RAW+JPEG or RAW only especially for Holy Grail?

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
mopperle

February 26th, 2024, 5:38 pm

What is your recommend setting? Your support page only gives some answers for Sony, but not for other brands.
From another solution I know that RAW+JPEG is highly recommended, as the calculation for Holy Grail is done from the JPEG, simply because a JPEG with lets say 2-3MB can be faster read then a RAW with maybe more than 30MB.

EDIT: Does the Unleashed even recogfnize, when RAW#JPRG is written and maybe on 2 different cards?
Regards,
Otto
mopperle

March 2nd, 2024, 7:43 pm

After a week, an answer would be highly appreciated. 🤔
Regards,
Otto
Oliver

March 4th, 2024, 9:24 am

Hi,

I just returned from a business trip to Japan then China, hence the silence from me here. Sorry for the wait.

For post processing the final holy grail timelapse it's highly recommended to shoot in Raw. Some software won't even attempt to work with Jpgs. So for all intents and purposes, Raw is a must.
Raw+jpg is required for some brands, such as sony and Fuji, where the camera firmware simply won't allow the Unleashed to get a thumbnail preview from raw files, or it makes the process way to slow to use. Also, on these brands, the EV-24h algorithm doesn't work, so thumbnail access is required to be able to do the Histogram calculations for the LRT Algorithms.

On Nikon, Canon and Panasonic, you can shoot only RAW if you like. As you said, there's a slight advantage that the JGPSs are often available a tiny bit earlier than the RAWs, and the smaller size allows us to do the calculations a bit quicker. So we still recommend using RAW + JPG. in fact, if you really want to optimise, I'd recommend using RAW+Small&Basic JPG. The additional space occupied by the jpgs becomes negligible.

On another note, I personally also prefer Raw+JPG so that I can use much simpler timelapse tools to render a preview timelapse to see if a timelapse is even worth running through post processing software like LR Timelapse.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
mopperle

March 4th, 2024, 10:09 am

I tried a HG with my Canon 6DMII with RAW only, which stopped working after a few picture. Yesterday I tested it with RAW+smallest JPEG and it worked.
I will try to make a HG today with my EOS R, which completely failed with RAW only, as written in my other topic:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2165
Regards,
Otto