Starting video doesn't work on Nikon D90 [solved]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Oliver

November 5th, 2018, 5:16 pm

I just wrote here:
viewtopic.php?p=147#p147
Oh, and yes, we already changed the compatibility page, sorry about that wrong info.
We only recently were able to test it ourselves, before that we had the info from Nikon that the D610 would be compatible with the protocol we use through the 10-pin port. It looks like they did not know enough about that either... The D7100, D750, Df, D800 and D4 are the oldest cameras in their respective lineups that support this protocol (and therefore do not need USB for Settings control). The D5000 and D3000 series don't support it at all, not even the latest D5600...
BTW: The Z6 and Z7 both support this protocol, and do not need USB for most features!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Andy

November 5th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Hi wdaehn,

I'm afraid I don't understand what's the issue with the error message.
wdaehn wrote:
October 31st, 2018, 5:19 pm
I am still questioning if that message is correct, though. This g4 setting does influence the function of the shutter button in LV-Movie mode. It has nothing to do with the normal operation.

Example:
You use a wired remote shutter. The g4 setting is set to Shutter=Video.
If the camera is not in LV mode, then pressing the remote shutter takes a photo.
If the camera is in LV-Photo mode, pressing the shutter takes a photo.
If the camera is in LV-Movie mode, then pressing the shutter will record a video. And with the g4 setting to Photo, the shutter will take a photo and you have to use the dedicated REC button on the camera to start recording a video.

So I strongly suggest to look into that setting again. I state you can remove that test.
The behavior you described is correct. Perhaps there is some case where the error is not set appropriately, but the expected behavior is as follows:

The error will be shown if:
  • Liveview selector is not set to video.
  • Liveview selector is set to video, but shutter button is set to photo and USB is not connected.
Does the error show up for you in different circumstances?
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography