Starting video doesn't work on Nikon D90 [solved]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
jlvillal

October 30th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Can't trigger video recording.

As noted in Known Issues section, Starting video option shows a message and does not work. When camera's Live View button is pressed nothing happens.
Nikon D90
Samsung S7 Android 8.0
wdaehn

October 30th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Same here with D610.

If the camera is on Shutter = Video, then the app complains. If it is on Shutter = Photo then clicking the first time on the video record button does take a photo, clicking a second time does nothing.
Samsung Galaxy S8 latest update
Nikon Z6.
Andy

October 31st, 2018, 9:43 am

Hi,

As you may know, this is a known issue. If your camera has a live view selector and supports the "g4" setting (Custom Setting Menu -> Movie -> Assign Shutter Button), then this issue is already fixed and the fix will come in the next update. We are still working for the case where either of those is not available.

jlvillal: What message is shown in your app?

wdaehn: What do you mean with "the app complains"? As far as I can tell, the D610 does have a live view selector (you can move the switch from photo to movie). If you have the shutter button assigned to "Record movies", then the video trigger should be working.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
wdaehn

October 31st, 2018, 9:57 am

I had the g4 setting to Video. When I entered the Video page of the app, it said "change it to Photo".
Nikon Z6.
Andy

October 31st, 2018, 10:13 am

That is interesting. I have not seen that behavior before. Do you still have that problem? I have only seen that error in Photo mode, not in Video mode.
Andy
wdaehn

October 31st, 2018, 10:22 am

Late me try again. Just to make sure. Keep you posted.
Nikon Z6.
Andy

October 31st, 2018, 10:25 am

Thanks!
Andy
wdaehn

October 31st, 2018, 5:19 pm

You are right. This error is shown in Photo mode.

I am still questioning if that message is correct, though. This g4 setting does influence the function of the shutter button in LV-Movie mode. It has nothing to do with the normal operation.

Example:
You use a wired remote shutter. The g4 setting is set to Shutter=Video.
If the camera is not in LV mode, then pressing the remote shutter takes a photo.
If the camera is in LV-Photo mode, pressing the shutter takes a photo.
If the camera is in LV-Movie mode, then pressing the shutter will record a video. And with the g4 setting to Photo, the shutter will take a photo and you have to use the dedicated REC button on the camera to start recording a video.

So I strongly suggest to look into that setting again. I state you can remove that test.

PS: Please do not say that the bug xyz is fixed. It is fixed once the updated app is available for download. Reading your known issues, it reads as if the video recording issue is fixed and I was wondering why it does not work still. Better to say "fixed in version x.x.x.x"
Nikon Z6.
Oliver

November 1st, 2018, 11:35 pm

Thanks for the input, wdaehn.

I just tested all the cases with a D7100 and D800, and they all work as expected. We don't have a D610 here, and there is a significant difference to the cameras we are working with here, so that's valuable feedback. The D610 is one of the newest cameras that unfortunately does not support the protocol we use through the 10-pin port, (which is why you need the USB cable for most functions), but because it is so new, it has all the other features like Live-view Selector and G4 setting. We will try to reproduce the issue on a similar camera and find a solution for it, or at least correct the error messages!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
wdaehn

November 3rd, 2018, 6:09 pm

Thanks. You might want to update the camera compatibility list to be more accurate then. The D610 needs the same footnote as the D600.
And I would like to see a matrix of functions supported for each camera with and without the USB cable. I ran under the assumption that all camera, including the Z6/Z7 will need the USB cable for pretty much any advanced function just like it is the case with the D610. Obviously I am wrong - now I am curious.
Nikon Z6.