Preview downloads jpeg and raws [solved]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
wdaehn

October 30th, 2018, 7:33 pm

If the camera is set to produce jpegs and raw, all previews are downloaded twice. You take one picture and get two preview images shown.
Samsung Galaxy S8 latest update
Nikon Z6.
Andy

October 31st, 2018, 10:27 am

I just tried this on a Nikon D7100 and I couldn't reproduce this issue. Only one thumbnail is downloaded. It might be that other cameras behave differently, I'll test later on other cameras and I'll let you know what I found.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
wdaehn

October 31st, 2018, 10:40 am

Thanks. This one I am sure about.
I emptied the previews, changed the camera to from CH to S (single photo) and took a single photo. Two identical images appear in the preview are of the app.
Nikon Z6.
Andy

October 31st, 2018, 10:44 am

I will investigate the issue.
Andy
Oliver

November 6th, 2018, 2:38 pm

A quick follow-up question: are you saving JPG and RAW to seperate SD-Cards?
We specifically programmed the Unleashed to check if the camera is set to RAW+JPG and if so, only fetch one thumbnail (of the jpeg, since it will be faster), but I don't think we tested the case where they are saved to two different cards.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
wdaehn

November 6th, 2018, 3:11 pm

I'll let you know on Thursday. On the road at the moment....
Nikon Z6.
PJKing

November 16th, 2018, 8:57 am

I received my Unleashed yesterday :) and have only done some basic things so far. One of those things was trying out the preview and I too found that two previews loaded when I took a photograph. I most often shoot in RAW only and have my second SD card set as Backup. I then did some experimentation and got the following results. I ran through the setups a few times and triggered the shutter from both the app and directly from the camera.

Combinations of settings that usually produced 2 previews yielded only 1 preview on some occasions. With these combinations, triggering from the app always produced 2 previews and mostly so did triggering from the camera. Single previews could be observed the first time that the shutter was triggered from the camera after having taken photos with the app; however, this didn't happen in every instance. Also, subsequent shots from the camera could again produce single previews but usually reverted right away to 2 previews. Seeing two previews when set to Backup could be because the camera does actually save the images twice. It seems strange to see two previews with quality set to RAW but cards set RAW slot 1 + JPEG slot 2, but it turns out that the camera treats this configuration as a backup, saving the same RAW image to both cards, so again the camera is saving the image twice.
Peter King

Nikon D750 firmware version C1.12 L2.016
iPhone 5s iOS version 12.0.1
Unleashed N2 version A1.0 B1.0 C1.1
Unleashed app version 1.0.0 (391)
Andy

November 16th, 2018, 10:10 am

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your detailed report! We are aware of this issue and we were able to reproduce it as well. We're still not sure how to get around this problem though, but we will work on a solution :)
Andy
wdaehn

November 16th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Thanks Peter, for taking the lead. I went so far as validate the raw&backup causes preview to show two images.
@Andy: I wonder if you should consider the timestamp of the files. In bursts with 12 pictures per seconds you might not want to download all either? Don't know.
Nikon Z6.
Andy

November 16th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Mm, that's actually a very good point too. Thanks for the suggestion!
Andy