Error 70 on Canon EOS 60D [edit: + 550D] [solved]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
thecake

November 29th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Hi there Oliver.

Thanks for the update and clarification.
It's really cool that you took the time to layout your progress in detail.

Regarding Andy's well-meant post. I think it's quite tricky to name a fixed timeframe for an upcoming update.

It gets peoples hopes and expectations up, which can backlash if they aren't met.

Fingers crossed for the firmware upgrade – update to work as intended when it's released.

Best,
Tim

Oliver wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 6:28 pm
Haha, nooo! not no mans sky! ;-)

We're really sorry about this issue, and also the lack of communication about it.

We could have communicated a little more, but it would have mainly been "we're working on it", which of course is not very helpful.

The thing is that the firmware is fixed (as far as we know), but we need to roll out this firmware to you as well.
A) for this one fix for a smallish group of people
B) for other fixes, feature updates, etc for everyone

We've planned for this from the start, and everything basically works. But if we've learned one thing from the last few weeks, with plenty of forum entries and hundreds if not thousands of support emails, is that what works perfectly here in the office, does not necessarily work so well with every customer.

on iOS a little less so than Android, mainly because according to the Google Play Store, our app is compatible with 7631 different Android devices, no wonder some behave differently than the 4 we're developing on and a couple more that we test on.

So, before we roll out this firmware update to everyone, we want to do more testing of the update process which can cause bigger problems.

Now the problem we have is twofold:
1) We had lots of issues to fix in the apps (again more so on android than iOS), and during fixing it turned out that it makes sense to refactor important parts of the app, rather than applying one patch after the other. So both iOS and Android app development teams have been working on this in the last couple of weeks. So on top of figuring out that we need more time than anticipated to finish implementing and testing the firmware update process, our developers have less time than expected.

2) Before Unleashing the Firmware update on everyone (which requires even more stability and even more testing) we're looking into possibilities to roll out the firmware just to those affected by this mean Canon bug.
This requires so many more changes than you'd think - from changes in firmware, to Bluetooth communication, obviously the apps too, and last but not least, the distribution of the apps to the customer.

For both of these points, we had nothing to say until decisions were made, and these decisions could not yet be made, until today.

Our internal meetings today brought some clarity:
1) Our App developers will prioritize finalizing the Firmware update process starting tomorrow, and we plan to have this ready by the beginning of next week.

2) We will start a Beta-program, or something similar, where we can invite some selected users to test new Apps and Firmware, without having to roll out the updates to every customer. We'll start with the users of Canon cameras that currently cannot even use their Unelasheds, since you have little to loose at the moment, so if the firmware update doesn't fix your issue or brings along a new bug, ... well ... you probably wouldn't notice, or at least it wouldn't make things worse than before.

While we're looking into setting up the beta program on the iOS AppStore and the Google Play Store, we'd like to invite those of you who are affected by this Canon Bug to send us their Details, if you'd like to join.

We need:
  • email address - the one you used to register on the AppStore/Play Store
  • iOS or Android + Version
  • Camera Model(s)
please send that to beta@foolography.com

Of course at the same time we're working on getting the firmware update working perfectly in the normal app for everyone, it will just take a little longer.

Thanks and sorry again for this issue!
Arvi89

December 6th, 2018, 9:53 am

Hello,

It's taking a bit too much time now. I understand you want to make an update with everything, but if that means making your customers who have an unusable device, then no, you don't wait that long. You make a first update to fix blocking bugs, then another one with feature update,

I was willing to wait a little bit, but now it's been more than a month. I've also sent an email to participate to the beta, but didn't get any answer.
TheRealTimYoung

December 8th, 2018, 9:33 pm

Hi, I've installed the beta as invited

After inserting the C2 into my camera and turning it on I still had the same issue. The C2 briefly flashed an orange light before display ERR 70 appeared on the screen.

Any ideas?
Canon 60D (firmware 1.1.1)
Oliver

December 8th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Everyone: the iOS Beta has started, and first feedback is in:
5Dmk2, 6Dmk2 and 550D are already confirmed working.

Android Beta will roll out in the course of the next week.

Tim: can you send us a screen recording of doing the Firmware update from within the app? I sent an email to you and the other iOS beta testers with instructions and a video - did you get that? if not, check your spam folder!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
dominikkv

December 9th, 2018, 12:44 am

Hi, after I have managed to install the new firmware, I can confirm that the Unleashed is now working with the Canon 60D & beta iOS app. After firmware update, should it also work with the "old" Android app?

Some tips for updating:
- Half press the shutter button on your camera the whole time
- When app says "disconnected", turn off & on your Bluetooth, do not restart app.
- Try it again and again until it works :-D

Cheers
Dominik
Last edited by dominikkv on December 9th, 2018, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver

December 9th, 2018, 8:44 am

Awesome, great to hear!
yeah, we're still working on those reconnection issues in between and after firmware updates!
TheRealTimYoung

December 9th, 2018, 11:00 am

Oliver,

I will do as you've asked but due to family commitments it's not going happen until tomorrow

--- Tim

[EDIT]

I had a thought, do you think my firmware on the camera will have a negative effect. When my kids finally go home I'll update and try again?
Oliver

December 10th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Hi Tim,

I mean a firmware update of the Unleashed (now possible with the new beta app), not of your camera.
I just sent you an email with a video of the process. Check your spam folder if you didn't get it.

Another customer already confirmed that the C2 works on the 60D after the update!
Oliver

December 10th, 2018, 10:42 pm

Dominik: yes, after the update it should work just fine with the old android app.
The one thing that won't work is displaying the correct firmware version in the Edit Unleashed screen, since we made some changes to allow for Beta versions to be displayed.
But that shouldn't cause any trouble anywhere else in the app.
TheRealTimYoung

December 10th, 2018, 11:39 pm

Oliver, maybe we got our wires crossed. I saw that another user had managed to get it working and he is using the latest revision of firmware on his camera, my question was should I update my camera firmware before trying to record my attempt at connection with Unleashed?

I haven't had a chance to do either yet, but I shall attempt sometime tomorrow

--- Tim